Pandit Hindraj Divekar (pronunciation:[hindɾədʒ diʋekəɾ] हिंदराज दिवेकर) (4 December 1954 - 19 April 2019)  was a virtuoso of the Rudra Veena and Sitar. He teaches the been in both Dhrupad and Khayal styles. Pandit Hindraj is one of the very few surviving rudra veena players in the world. He is the co-author of the book, Rudra Veena: An Ancient String Musical Instrument. He is the founder director of Hindgandharva Sangeet Academy, Pune.
Pandit Hindraj Divekar
Digambar Shivaram Divekar
December 4, 1954
|Died||April 19, 2019(aged 64)|
Pandit Hindraj started his Sitar training from his father, Late Pandit Hindagandharva Shivarambuwa Divekar, and from Pandit Bhaskar Chandawarkar in 1973. He received guidance also from late Pandit Mangal Prasad (Ujjain) and from Abdul Halimjafar Khan.
He received his training on Rudra Veena, for both Dhrupad and Khayal styles, primarily from his father and later from Pandit Pandharinathji Kolhapure and Zia Mohimuddin Dagar. For Khayal style in rudra veena, he has sought guidance from Pandit Bindu Madhav Pathak.
Since 1979, he has performed many concerts throughout India and abroad (Australia, Germany, Italy, Singapore). He got his music degree of Sangeet Visharad in 1985, from Bhaskar Sangeet Vidayala, Bharat Gayan Samaj, Pune.
Pandit Hindraj is also the co-author of the book,- Rudra Veena: An Ancient String Musical Instrument, published in 2001. He worked as a lecturer in the Department of Hindustani Music, Spicer Memorial College, Pune, and he is the founder director of Hindgandharva Sangeet Academy, Pune.
Pandit Hindraj Divekar was born as Digambar Shivaram Divekar into a family of musicians, on 4 December 1954 in Pune, India. His father Late Pandit Hindagandharva Shivarambuwa Divekar was a vocalist, rudra veena player and Marathi stage actor, who had been honored by Morarji Desai, fourth prime minister of India, at Pune in 1978. Pandit Hindraj Divekar’s grandfather, Natashrestha Chintoba Divekar, was a singer and actor of Marathi stage and drama, and had been honored by Jawaharlal Nehru first prime minister of India, in 1954.
He got his graduation in Commerce from Pune University in 1976.
Honors and recognitionEdit
He has been presented with various titles and honours, some of which are
- title Surmani by Sur Singar Samsad in 1980
- title Pandit in 1988
- title Sangeet Shree, at Allahabad Music Festival, 1988
- title Dhrupad Shree at Dhrupad Festival, Indore, 1991
- title Pune Gaurav by Pune Municipal Corporation, 1994
- "हिंदराज दिवेकर यांचे निधन - hindraj divekar passes away | Maharashtra Times". maharashtratimes.com. Archived from the original on 2021-04-23.
- Divekar, Hindraj; Tribhuwan, Robin D. (2001). Rudra Veena: An Ancient String Musical Instrument. ISBN 9788171415816. Retrieved 2014-06-02.
- "Interview with Pandit Hindraj Divekar". Retrieved 2014-06-02.
- Hindraj Divekar, Robin D. Tribhuwan (2001-01-01). Rudra Veena: An Ancient String Musical Instrument. Discovery Publishing House. p. 41,42. ISBN 8171415814. Retrieved 2014-06-01.
- "About panditji". Archived from the original on 2014-10-08. Retrieved 2014-06-02.
- "Sravan Music presents Santirnaad". Retrieved 2014-06-02.
- "Santirnadah : track listing". Retrieved 2014-06-02.
- "Academic and awards". Archived from the original on 2014-10-08. Retrieved 2014-06-02.