Hereford County Hospital
|Hereford County Hospital|
|Wye Valley NHS Trust|
Hereford County Hospital
|Location||Hereford, England, United Kingdom|
|Lists||Hospitals in England|
The General Infirmary, which was built on land donated by the Earl of Oxford, opened in 1783. It became known as the General Hospital in 1900 and an additional building, known as the Hewat Pavilion, which operated as an orthopedic ward, opened in 1927.
The foundation stone for Hereford County Hospital was laid in 1937 by Queen Mary. It was built adjacent to the site of the Public Assistance Institute. The County Hospital provided additional facilities to the General Hospital.
A new hospital was procured in 1999 under a Private Finance Initiative contract to replace the Hereford General, County and Victoria Eye Hospitals. The new hospital, which was designed by WS Atkins and built by Alfred McAlpine at a cost of £62 million, opened in 2002. An additional ward, the Gilwern Assessment Unit, opened on the site in December 2015.
The hospital has 208 beds and facilities include a psychiatric ward named after Jenny Lind, a Swedish opera singer. Facilities management services are provided by Sodexo. Kier Group has a contract for a £40m programme of reconfiguration works at the hospital.
- "Hereford General Hospital". Old Hereford Pics. Retrieved 2 April 2018.
- Renton, Charles (1999). The Story of Herefordshire's Hospitals. Almeley: Logaston Press. p. 220. ISBN 1873827210.
- "Healthcare Book" (PDF). WS Atkins. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- "Hereford PFI deal closed". Building. 23 April 1999. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- "Alfred McAlpine sells stake in Mercia Healthcare for 5.6m". Building. 26 January 2005. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- "NHS capital expenditure and the private finance initiative—expansion or contraction?" (PDF). British Medical Journal. 3 July 1999. p. 49. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- "Hereford County Hospital has a new ward". Herefordshire Live. 23 December 2015. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- "Hereford care at home plan to free up hospital beds". BBC. 17 October 2013. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- "David Craig who left roadie job to become mental health nurse retires". Hereford Times. 10 February 2011. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- "Inquiry into Hereford County Hospital contract called for as MP Jesse Norman brands PFI a "catastrophe"". Hereford Times. 10 December 2013. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- "Kier wins £250m of health deals including Hampshire hospital design-and-build job". Construction News. 16 June 2015. Retrieved 1 April 2018.