Henry Kressel (born c. 1938) is an American engineer, scientist, and financial executive. He is a partner and the senior managing director of the private equity firm Warburg Pincus. He has been a board member of SRI International since 2001.
|Born||1938/1939 (age 80–81)|
|Alma mater||Yeshiva College|
University of Pennsylvania
|Awards||1974 IEEE Fellow|
National Academy of Engineering Member
Early life and educationEdit
Kressel earned a bachelor's degree in physics from Yeshiva College, a master's in applied physics from Harvard University, an MBA from The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania and a Ph.D. in material science, also from the University of Pennsylvania.
Kressel joined RCA Laboratories in 1959, and spent 23 years there. He was in charge of development and commercialization of research developments in a variety of fields including light sources, light detectors, and integrated circuits. The development of the first practical laser diodes and the first epitaxial silicon solar cell are also attributed to him. He eventually became vice president of solid-state electronic research and development.
Memberships and awardsEdit
Kressel received an honorary doctorate from Yeshiva University. He is a 1974 IEEE Fellow and was the founding president of IEEE Lasers and Electro-Optics Society in 1977. He received the IEEE Centennial Medal in 1984 and the IEEE David Sarnoff Award in 1985 for "contributions to electronic devices". He was elected to the National Academy of Engineering in 1980 and is a Fellow of the American Physical Society.
He is on the board of directors of SRI International, Aicent, EnStorage, MACH, Suniva and Telcordia Technologies. He has been on the board of directors of Yeshiva University's Sy Syms School of Business since 2004, and is the chairman of the board of trustees of Yeshiva University.
In 2008, Kressel created a scholarship at Yeshiva University in his own name, the Henry Kressel Research Scholarship.
Patents and publicationsEdit
- Characterization of Epitaxial Semiconductor Films (Methods and Phenomena: Their Applications in Science and Technology, Vol. 2). Elsevier. 1976-04-01. ISBN 0-444-41438-X.
- Semiconductor Lasers and Heterojunction LEDS. Academic Press. 1977. ISBN 0-12-426250-3.
- Competing for the Future: How Digital Innovations are Changing the World. Cambridge University Press. 2007. ISBN 0-521-86290-6.
- Investing in Dynamic Markets: Venture Capital in the Digital Age. Cambridge University Press. July 2010. ISBN 0-521-11148-X.
- Entrepreneurship in the Global Economy: Engine for Economic Growth. Cambridge University Press. August 2012. ISBN 1-107-01976-1.
- If You Really Want to Change the World: A Guide to Creating, Building, and Sustaining Breakthrough Ventures. Harvard Business Review. October 2015. ISBN 1-625-27829-2.
- "Henry Kressel". warburgpincus.com. Warburg Pincus. Archived from the original on 2011-12-19. Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- "Henry Kressel". SRI International. Retrieved 2013-07-01.
- "SRI International Elects Dr. Henry Kressel to Board of Directors". SRI International. 2012-01-15. Archived from the original on 2012-01-19. Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- "Dr. Henry Kressel". yu.edu. Yeshiva University. Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- "E/ME 103: Management of Technology: Guest Bios". California Institute of Technology. Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- "Fellow Class of 1974". IEEE. Archived from the original on 2011-06-29. Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- "Our History". photonicssociety.org. IEEE Photonics Society. Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- "NAE Members Directory - Dr. Henry Kressel". National Academy of Engineering. Retrieved 2012-01-22.
- "Henry Kressel Elected to Board of Directors of Yeshiva University's Sy Syms School of Business". Yeshiva University. 2004-07-07. Archived from the original on 2011-10-01. Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- "Four Undergraduates Receive Henry Kressel Research Scholarships to Pursue Research Projects in Diverse Fields". Yeshiva University. 2008-10-29. Archived from the original on 2013-03-16. Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- "How Does VC Create Value in the Current World Environment?". Israeli Business Forum. Archived from the original on 2010-08-07. Retrieved 2012-01-15.