Helvig of Schauenburg
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Helvig of Schauenburg (German: Heilwig von Holstein) (1398–1436) was a duchess of Schleswig and a countess of Holstein from the family of Schauenburg. She was the mother of King Christian I of Denmark and ancestor of the Danish Royal houses of Oldenburg and Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg. 
Helvig of Schauenburg
|Countess of Oldenburg|
|Died||1436 (aged 37–38)|
|Buried||St. Lambert's Church in Oldenburg|
|Noble family||House of Schauenburg|
|Spouse(s)||Balthasar of Mecklenburg|
Dietrich of Oldenburg
|Father||Gerhard VI of Holstein-Rendsburg|
|Mother||Catherine Elisabeth of Brunswick-Lüneburg|
She was a daughter of Gerhard VI of Holstein-Rendsburg and his wife, Catherine Elisabeth of Brunswick-Lüneburg. Her brother was Adolf VIII/I, Count of Holstein/Duke of Schleswig. Through their father, they were cognatic descendants of King Eric V of Denmark (1249–1286) while through their mother, they were cognatic descendants of King Abel of Denmark (1218–1252).
On 18 April 1417 Helvig was married to Prince Balthasar of Mecklenburg, who died of the plague in 1421. In 1423 she was married to Dietrich, Count of Oldenburg. From her second marriage she had the following children:
- Christian I of Denmark (1426–1481), who succeeded his father as Count of Oldenburg and Delmenhorst. In 1448, he was elected King of Denmark. He also inherited the counties of Schleswig and Holstein upon the death of his childless uncle, Adolf VIII.
- Maurice V of Delmenhorst (1428–1464); when his elder brother became king, he was given the County of Delmenhorst.
- Gerhard VI of Oldenburg (1430–1500); when his eldest brother had become king, he was given the county of Oldenburg, and from his other brother's heirs he also inherited Delmenhorst in about 1483.
- Adelheid of Oldenburg (1425–1475); first married Ernest III, Count of Hohenstein (died 1454) and then in 1474 Gerhard VI, Count of Mansfeld (died 1492).
- Britannica Library, Christian I, 2019
- "Christian (Christiern) I, 1426-81, Konge". Dansk biografisk Lexikon. Retrieved August 1, 2020.
- "King Abel". danmarkskonger.dk. Retrieved August 1, 2020.
- "Erik 5. Klipping, 1249-1286". Danmarks Historie. Retrieved August 1, 2020.
- "Christian I. (König von Dänemark, Norwegen und Schweden)". Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie. Retrieved August 1, 2020.
Danish royal descentEdit
|Gerhard VI||Catherine Elisabeth|
|Helvig of Schauenburg|
|House of Oldenburg|
|This article about a German countess is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a German duchess is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|