Gerhard VI, Count of Oldenburg
Gerhard VI "the Quarrelsome"
|Count of Oldenburg|
Coat of arms of Gerhard VI
|Died||22 February 1500 (aged 69–70)|
|Noble family||House of Oldenburg|
|Spouse(s)||Adelheid of Tecklenburg|
|Father||Dietrich of Oldenburg|
|Mother||Helvig of Schauenburg|
Gerhard was the third son of Dietrich of Oldenburg and his wife, Helvig of Schauenburg. His eldest brother first succeeded their father and later was elected King Christian I of Denmark in 1448, therefore passing on the county to his brothers in 1450. From 1440 to 1463 Gerhard VI ruled in Delmenhorst as regent and from 1464 to 1482 (after the death of his brother Maurice) as the guardian of his nephew Jakob. He was constantly at war with Gerhard III, Prince-Archbishop of Bremen, and Frisians. In 1483 Gerhard was compelled to abdicate in favor of his sons, and he died whilst on a pilgrimage in the Rhône valley. 
Family and childrenEdit
- Gerhard of Oldenburg (1454–1470)
- Dietrich of Oldenburg (c. 1456 – 1463)
- Adolph, Count of Oldenburg-Delmenhorst (1458 – 17 February 1500)
- Christian of Oldenburg (1459 – 27 May 1492)
- John V, Count of Oldenburg (1460 – 10 February 1526)
- Otto of Oldenburg (d. 17 February 1500), a canon of Bremen Cathedral Chapter
- Elisabeth of Oldenburg (1468 – 12 September 1505)
- Anna of Oldenburg (1469 – 26 September 1505)
- Irmgard of Oldenburg; married Hero Oomkens von Esens, Earl of Harlingerland.
- Hedwig of Oldenburg (d. 22 February 1502); married in 1498 Edo Wimken II of Jever (1468 - 19 April 1511); had issue, including Maria of Jever.
- Adelheid of Oldenburg (d. 1513); married in 1503 Dietrich III of Plesse.
- "Gerhard (Gerd) VI. der Mutige". Deutsche Biographie. Retrieved 1 August 2020.
- "Gerhard der Mutige". Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie. Retrieved 1 August 2020.
- "Christian I. (König von Dänemark, Norwegen und Schweden)". Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie. Retrieved 1 August 2020.
Gerhard VI, Count of OldenburgBorn: 1430 Died: 22 February 1500
| Count of Oldenburg