Gerhard VI, Count of Oldenburg
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Gerhard VI "the Quarrelsome"|
|Count of Oldenburg|
Coat of arms of Gerhard VI
|Died||22 February 1500 (aged 69–70)|
|Noble family||House of Oldenburg|
|Spouse(s)||Adelheid of Tecklenburg|
|Father||Dietrich of Oldenburg|
|Mother||Helvig of Schauenburg|
Gerhard was the third son of Dietrich of Oldenburg and his wife, Helvig of Schauenburg. His eldest brother succeeded their father as Christian VII but was elected King Christian I of Denmark in 1448, therefore passing on the county to his brothers in 1450. In 1440–1463 Gerhard VI ruled in Delmenhorst as regent and in 1464–1482 (after the death of his brother Maurice) as the guardian of his nephew Jakob. He was constantly at war with Gerhard III, Prince-Archbishop of Bremen, and Frisians. In 1483 Gerhard was compelled to abdicate in favor of his sons, and he died whilst on a pilgrimage in the Rhône valley.
Family and childrenEdit
- Gerhard of Oldenburg (1454–1470)
- Dietrich of Oldenburg (c. 1456 – 1463)
- Adolph, Count of Oldenburg-Delmenhorst (1458 – 17 February 1500)
- Christian of Oldenburg (1459 – 27 May 1492)
- John V, Count of Oldenburg (1460 – 10 February 1526)
- Otto of Oldenburg (d. 17 February 1500), a canon of Bremen Cathedral Chapter
- Elisabeth of Oldenburg (1468 – 12 September 1505)
- Anna of Oldenburg (1469 – 26 September 1505)
- Irmgard of Oldenburg; married Hero Oomkens von Esens, Earl of Harlingerland.
- Hedwig of Oldenburg (d. 22 February 1502); married in 1498 Edo Wimken II of Jever (1468 - 19 April 1511); had issue, including Maria of Jever.
- Adelheid of Oldenburg (d. 1513); married in 1503 Dietrich III of Plesse.