Heartland is a 1979 American film, directed by Richard Pearce, starring Rip Torn and Conchata Ferrell. The film is a stark depiction of early homestead life in the American West. It is based on a memoir by Elinore Pruitt Stewart, titled Letters of a Woman Homesteader (1914).
|Directed by||Richard Pearce|
|Written by||Beth Ferris|
Elinore Randall Stewart
|Produced by||Beth Ferris|
|Edited by||Bill Yahraus|
|Music by||Charles Gross|
The National Endowment for the Humanities
In 1980, the film was featured as a "Buried Treasure" (a film that received little attention during its initial run)  by film critics Roger Ebert and Gene Siskel on an episode of the TV show, Sneak Previews, (the latter put the film as one of the best films of 1981) 
- Rip Torn as Clyde Stewart
- Conchata Ferrell as Elinore Randall Stewart
- Barry Primus as Jack
- Megan Folsom as Jerrine
- Lilia Skala as Mrs. Landauer
- Amy Wright as Clara Jane
- Jerry Hardin as Cattlebuyer
- Mary Boylan as Ma Gillis
- Jeff Boschee as Land Office Agent #1
- Robert Overholzer as Land Office Agent #2
- Bob Sirucek as Dan Byrd
- Marvin Berg as Justice of the Peace
- Gary Voldseth as Cowboy
- Mike Robertson as Cowboy
- Doug Johnson as Cowboy
In 1980, the film shared the Golden Bear award for Best Film at the 30th Berlin International Film Festival, and one year later on the Top Ten Films from National Board of Review alongside cinematic heavyweights like Academy Award for Best Picture winner Chariots of Fire and the Steven Spielberg blockbuster Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.
- Turner Classic Movies
- Heartland Movie Review & Film Summary (1981)-Roger Ebert.com
- 5 Reasons to Watch the Movie Heartland·Willow and Thatch
- Hen's Tooth Video
- Heartland Trailer 1981-Video Detective on YouTube
- "Woman Homesteader".
- What a Friend We Have in Jesus by George Lewis-Topic on YouTube
- Edge Center for the Arts: “Heartland” is the January Film Classic in Bigfork
- "Siskel and Ebert Top Ten Lists - Inner Mind".
- "Berlinale 1980: Prize Winners". berlinale.de. Retrieved 2010-08-17.