This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2021)
Hazratbal or Dargah, is the notified area in Downtown Srinagar situated about 10 km (6.2 mi) from city center. The early settlements in the area occurred on the banks of Dal Lake and majority of population of area are Hangis (fishermen). The area became famous after the construction of Hazratbal Shrine where hundreds of thousands of people visit every year because many relics related to the Islamic prophet Muhammad are believed to be there.
|Union territory||Jammu and Kashmir|
|Founded by||Sheikh Muhammad Abdullah|
|Named for||Holy Relics|
|• Type||Democratic Government|
|• Body||Government of Jammu and Kashmir|
|• Official||Kashmiri, Urdu, Hindi, Dogri, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
The word Hazrat in Urdu gives indication of respect and bal in Kasmiri means place. Thus the word Hazratbal means the place which is highly respected among the people. Due to the presence of Dal Lake and its house boats in vicinity, the area became the famous tourist spot in the city. The economy of the people living here greatly depends on tourism. Also the grave of Sheikh Muhammad Abdullah is situated in the area. The postal code of the area is 190006.
The areas which come under the constituency of Hazratbal are as under:
There are three institutions in the area.
- Kashmir University
- College of Engineering - University of Kashmir also known as "Zukura Campus"
- National Institute of Technology, Srinagar
Due to this reason it is considered as higher education centre in Kashmir Valley. Students from different parts of the state study Art, Humanities, Science, Arabic, Persian, Urdu, Engineering in these institutions.
- "The Jammu and Kashmir Official Languages Act, 2020" (PDF). The Gazette of India. 27 September 2020. Retrieved 27 September 2020.
- "Parliament passes JK Official Languages Bill, 2020". Rising Kashmir. 23 September 2020. Retrieved 23 September 2020.
- "GetPincode - Indian pincode search engine". getpincode.info. Retrieved 7 August 2014.