Hassan Ali Khayre
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Hassan Ali Khaire (Somali: Xasan Cali Khayre, Arabic: حسن علي خيري; born 1968), popularly known as Hassan Khayre is the current Prime Minister of Somalia. He was appointed on 23 February 2017 by Somali President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed and unanimously approved by the Parliament on 1 March 2017.
Hassan Ali Khayre
|Prime Minister of Somalia|
|Assumed office |
1 March 2017
|President||Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed|
|Preceded by||Omar Abdirashid Ali|
Hassan Ali Khaire
1968 (age 50–51)
Jacar Galgaduud, Galguduud, Somalia
|Alma mater||University of Deynile|
Somali University Galgaduud
Hassan Ali Khaire was born in the central Somalia town of Jacar Galgaduud, some 50 kilometers from El Buur, to a family from the Murusade tribe, a branch of the larger Hawiye tribe. He graduated from primary and secondary school in Mogadishu. At the onset of the civil war, Khaire moved as a refugee to Norway in 1991, where he enrolled at the University of Oslo in 1994.
After graduating in 1998 with a degree in political science and minor in sociology, Khaire went on to complete his MBA at Edinburgh Business School, the graduate school of business of Heriot-Watt University, in 2001.
Khaire briefly left the NGO for a few years to pursue business endeavors but in 2006 he returned to the NRC as an area manager. He remained at the NRC for another 9 more years as he worked his way up to County Director and eventually the Regional Director for the Horn of Africa. In June 2012, when Hassan Khaire was regional director for the NRC, a NRC caravan was attacked in northeastern Kenya, the Norwegian daily Verdens Gang reported. One of the drivers was killed on the spot. Several others were shot and injured. One Norwegian, one Canadian and two others from Pakistan and the Philippines were driven away by the kidnappers. Four days later they were released by a local militia group after a dramatic shootout on the other side of the border in Somalia. The NRC which was led by Hassan Khaire, was found guilty in gross negligence in a Norwegian court for poor planning of the security. Hassan Khaire has also been under investigation for corruption when working for the British company Soma Oil, but the investigation was dropped because of lack of evidence, although the investigators maintained that there were still reasons for suspicions.
Soma Oil & GasEdit
After nearly a decade in the NGO field, Khaire moved on to the public sector joining Soma Oil & Gas as an Executive Director for Africa. According to the company's website, Hassan Khaire has been with the company since its inception in 2013.
In February 2016, a leaked memo, sent by a United Nations watchdog to diplomats in the United Kingdom and Norway, revealed that the executive director for Africa at Soma Oil and Gas was under investigation by the United Nations Monitoring group for Somalia and Eritrea for possible ties to extremist groups in East Africa, including al-Shabaab, which had claimed responsibility for a series of deadly terrorist attacks in Somalia. The UN letter, dated 17 February 2016, showed investigators raised concerns over Khaire's possible links to extremist groups after obtaining his “electronic contact list”, which it analysed with the cooperation of an unidentified UN member state.They all maintained their innocence from the beginning and were eventually cleared by their accusers after rigorous scrutiny. The UN Somalia Eritrea Monitoring Group (SEMG) said that it "has not found credible evidence of such links and that, in the absence of any new information received by the SEMG clearly demonstrating such links, we now consider this line of inquiry to have reached a conclusion.”
Resignation from SomaEdit
On 23 February 2017, Soma Oil & Gas announced on their website the resignation of Khaire as the Executive Director for Africa.
On 23 February 2017, President Mohamed announced on Twitter the appointment of Khaire as the new Prime Minister of Somalia. Prior to his appointment, Khaire had never held public office, although over the course of his career he has worked with a range of high-level executives and government officials in various capacities.
In a session held on March 1, 2017, Members of Parliament overwhelmingly approved Khaire's appointment as Prime Minister, 231 of the MPs endorsed the selection. On 21 March 2017, Khaire thanked lawmakers for their overwhelming support. and submitted his nomination for the Cabinet Ministers Somalia, on 29 March 2017 they were approved by the parliament.
He also vowed to tackle corruption by prosecuting individuals involved, regardless of their position, and chaired his first official Cabinet meeting, he reminded the gathered Ministers of his and their duties as statesmen, noting that the administration's focus should be on strengthening the security sector, accelerating institutional reform.
- M. "Somali new president appoints Hassan Ali Khaire as prime minister". Mareeg.com. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "Parliament unanimously endorses Hassan Khaire as new PM". Goobjoog News. 1 March 2017.
- Sætran, Frode. "Nordmann ny statsminister i Somalia". Aftenposten (in Norwegian). Norwegian News Agency. Retrieved 2017-02-23.
- Guled, Abdi. "Somalia's new president appoints prime minister". ABC News. Associated Press. Retrieved 2017-02-23.
- "حسن خيري.. "دفة التوازن" القبلي تقود الحكومة الصومالية" (in Arabic). AR.HABERLER.COM. 25 February 2017.
- "من هو رئيس وزراء الصومال الجديد حسن خيري؟" (in Arabic). Al Jazeera. 24 February 2017.
- "الصومال: فرماجو يعين رئيسا للوزراء بتغريدة" (in Arabic). Aawsat. 24 February 2017.
- "Who is Hassan Ali Khaire, Somalia's new Prime Minister?". IB Times. 24 February 2017.
- "من هو رئيس الوزراء الجديد حسن علي خيري ؟" (in Arabic). Mogadishu Center for Research and Studies. 23 February 2017.
- Aase, Kari Aarstad; Braaten, Magnus. "Norske Hassan ny statsminister i Somalia". Verdens Gang (in Norwegian). Retrieved 2017-02-24.
- "የኦስሎ ዩንቨርሲቲ ምሩቁ የሱማሊያው አዲሱ ጠቅላይ ሚንስትር ማናቸው? ጠ/ሚሩ የካቢኔ አባሎቻቸውን ትናንት አስተዋውቀዋል። Somalian PM announced his cabinet ministers" (22 March 2017) at Ethio Explorer
- "Prime Minister". Somali Embassy in the United Arab Emirates. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "Flyktninghjelpen anker ikke" (in Norwegian). BISTANDSAKTUELT. 12 January 2016.
- "Serious Fraud Office Closes Corruption Investigation of Soma Oil". The Wall Street Journal. 15 December 2016.
- "Resignation of Hassan Khaire on his appointment as Prime Minister of Somalia - Soma Oil & Gas". Soma Oil & Gas. 2017-02-23. Retrieved 2017-02-24.
- (BuzzFeed), Siraj Datoo. "Somalia-amp-Eritrea-Monitoring-Group". DocumentCloud. Retrieved 2017-02-24.
- Ball, James. "Soma Oil Executive Cleared Of "Extremist Links" By UN Investigation". BuzzFeed. Retrieved 2017-02-24.
- "Mohamed A. Farmaajo on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2017-02-24.
- "Hassan Ali Khaire confirmed as Prime Minister by Parliament, vows to tackle corruption". Hiiraan Online. Retrieved 1 March 2017.
- "PM Khaire announces 27 member cabinet". Hiiraan Online. 21 March 2017.
Omar Abdirashid Ali Sharmarke
| Prime Minister of Somalia