Harry's Bar (Rome)
|Founded||1918 in Rome|
|Headquarters||Via Vittorio Veneto 150 - Rome|
Harry's Bar Rome opened in 1918 under the name "Golden Gate". The owner, an American woman who lived in Rome, found her inspiration for the restaurant name from her native town of San Francisco, California. Golden Gate is a bridge that connects San Francisco Bay to Marin County.
The owner, originally from Rome, decided to open the bar as a tea saloon. In 1950, a new owner bought the place and decided to renovate the business and change its name from Golden Gate to Harry's Bar Rome.
Dolce Vita yearsEdit
During the "Dolce Vita" years (late 1950s to early 1960s), Harry's Bar had its most successful period. Rome saw a period of economic boom. Cinecittà attracted American directors, producers, actors and actresses.
Celebrities who used to spend their time in this bar include Jean Paul Belmondo, Ava Gardner, Federico Fellini, Lana Turner, Marlon Brando, Alberto Sordi, Audrey Hepburn, Sophia Loren and Silvana Pampanini.
During the 80s, Harry's Bar Rome was bought and renovated by the Cremonini group.
In the early 2000s Harry's Bar Rome was bought and renovated by the Lepore family. Today, the bar recreates the atmosphere of the Dolce Vita years.
Many later celebrities visited Harry's Bar Rome, including Mel Gibson, Woody Allen, Katherine Kelly Lang, Romina Power, Carla Bruni, Antony Hopkins, Pamela Prati, Paolo Sorrentino and United States Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
- "Things to Do in Rome | Frommer's". www.frommers.com. Retrieved 2019-09-09.
- "Harry'S Bar Roma - Roma". PagineGialle.it (in Italian). Retrieved 2018-04-05.
- "Quando Hillary arrivò a via Veneto come una star della Dolce Vita". Retrieved 2018-04-05.
- "Caffè letterari a Roma nei mitici anni '60, di Giovanni Russo".
- "Roma, via Veneto: si rinnova l'icona della Dolce vita". Retrieved 2018-04-05.
- Time Out Rome, 2011. Time Out. pp. 80–81. ISBN 978-1-84670-274-7.
- "Rino Barillari, a Foiano in mostra gli scatti del "King of Paparazzi"". Retrieved 2018-04-05.
- "Addio a Rino Lepore: via Veneto perde la sua star | Vecchia Versione – TridenteRoma.it – Vecchia Versione". www.samiriacovone.com (in Italian). Retrieved 2018-04-05.
- "Romina Power con Daisy Questa è la vera... Felicità". Retrieved 2018-04-05.
- "Una notte con Rino Barillari - Aromaweb". Aromaweb (in Italian). 2014-09-15. Retrieved 2018-04-05.
- kaoma. "The King of Paparazzi, Rino Barillari". www.rinobarillari.com. Retrieved 2018-04-05.
- Spa, TITANKA!. "The Great Beauty Rome Locations". www.aureliagarden.it. Retrieved 2018-04-05.