Haplogroup HIJK, defined by the SNPs F929, M578, PF3494 and S6397, is a common Y-chromosome haplogroup. Like its parent macrohaplogroup GHIJK, Haplogroup HIJK and its subclades comprise the vast majority of the world's male population.
|Possible time of origin||approx. 45,000-50,000 BCE|
(i.e. similar to estimates for Haplogroups GHIJK, H and IJK)
|Possible place of origin||Unknown, Asia|
HIJK branches subsequently into two direct descendants: IJK (L15/M523/PF3492/S137) and H (L901/M2939). IJK in turn splits into IJ (F-L15) and K (M9). The descendants of Haplogroup IJ are haplogroups I and J, while Haplogroup K is, ultimately, the ancestor of major haplogroups M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, L, and T.
The basal paragroup HIJK* has not been identified in living males or ancient remains.
Populations with high proportions of males who belong to descendant major haplogroups of Haplogroup HIJK live across widely dispersed areas and populations.
South Asia was where Haplogroup H (L901/M2939) almost certainly originated, and became concentrated before the mass migrations of the modern era. South Asia was also where two haplogroups descended ultimately from IJK (L15/M523/PF3492/S137) remained concentrated and/or prominent, namely Haplogroups L and R.
Males belonging to other subclades of IJK are concentrated in, for example:
- Europe and Central Asia (e. g. haplogroups I, J, N, Q and R);
- the Middle East and North East Africa (e. g. haplogroups J and T);
- South Asia (e.g. haplogroups H, L and R);
- South East Asia and East Asia (e.g. haplogroup O)
- Oceania (e. g. haplogroups K, M, O and S) and;
- many Native American peoples (e. g. haplogroup Q).
- Archaeogenetics of the Near East
- Conversion table for Y chromosome haplogroups
- Genetic Genealogy
- Human Y-chromosome DNA haplogroup
- Molecular phylogenetics
- Y-chromosomal Aaron
- Y-chromosome haplogroups in populations of the world
- Y-DNA haplogroups by ethnic group
- Y-DNA haplogroups in populations of South Asia
|A00||A0-T [χ 3]|
|A0||A1 [χ 4]|
|I||J||LT [χ 5]||K2 [χ 6]|
|L||T||K2a [χ 7]||K2b [χ 8]||K2c||K2d||K2e [χ 9]|
|K-M2313 [χ 10]||K2b1 [χ 11]||P [χ 12]|
|NO||S [χ 13]||M [χ 14]||P1||P2|