Hans Herman Cohen (3 February 1923 – 14 May 2020) was a Dutch microbiologist. He was director-general of the Netherlands National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) between 1984 and 1986. As a microbiologist Cohen worked on development of polio vaccines in the Netherlands.
Cohen was born in Groningen on 3 February 1923. In 1954 he started working for the Rijksinstituut voor Volksgezondheid, a predecessor of the RIVM. His initial wish was to start working on a polio vaccine but he was rebuffed as there was not yet a government vaccination order. However, during the 1950s and 1960s he worked on the development of the Salk polio vaccine. In the 1970s Cohen together with Jonas Salk and Charles Mérieux founded the Forum for the Advancement of Immunization Research (FAIR).
During his time as director-general of the Rijksinstituut voor Volksgezondheid he oversaw the merger with two other institutes per 1984, which resulted in the formation of the RIVM. Per 1 January 1984 he was appointed director-general of the RIVM. His term ended in 1986. The Dutch Council of Ministers subsequently nominated him as head of the Commission for environmental effects rapport.
In 1992, after a minor polio outbreak in the Netherlands, he protested against the offer of a free polio vaccine to around nine million persons not in risk groups, calling it a "waste of money".
- D. J. van de Kaa; Kaa; Y. de Roo (19 December 2008). De Leden Van de Koninklijke Nederlandse Akademie Van Wetenschappen: Een Demografisch Perspectief: 1808 Tot 2008. Amsterdam University Press. pp. 372–. ISBN 978-90-6984-552-4.
- Simon Rozendaal (23 April 2014). Vaccinatie. Amsterdam University Press. pp. 38–. ISBN 978-90-485-2289-7.
- "Polio in Staphorst" (in Dutch). Andere Tijden. 3 November 2007. Archived from the original on 20 April 2020.
- Wim Köhler (26 September 1992). "Zonde van het geld, al die vaccinaties". NRC Handelsblad (in Dutch). Archived from the original on 27 December 2017.
- Bernard Seytre; Mary Shaffer (22 August 2005). The Death of a Disease: A History of the Eradication of Poliomyelitis. Rutgers University Press. pp. 97–. ISBN 978-0-8135-3786-3.
- Christine Holmberg; Stuart Blume; Paul Greenough (28 February 2017). The Politics of Vaccination: A Global History. Manchester University Press. pp. 128–. ISBN 978-1-5261-1093-0.
- "Mededelingen en bekendmakingen" (PDF) (in Dutch). Nederlands Tijdschrift voor Geneeskunde. Archived from the original (PDF) on 17 May 2020.
- "Nieuwe voorzitter Commissie voor de Milieu-effect-rapportage" (in Dutch). Wageningen University and Research Centre. Archived from the original on 28 December 2017.
- "H.H. Cohen". Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 27 December 2017.
- "Personalia" (in Dutch). Nederlands Tijdschrift voor Geneeskunde. 14 October 1986. Archived from the original on 17 May 2020.
- "Hans Herman Cohen". NRC Handelsblad. 16 May 2020. Retrieved 17 May 2020.