Handball Sport Verein Hamburg is a handball club from Germany, located in Hamburg. Currently, Handball Hamburg competes in the 2. Handball-Bundesliga. The full name in German is Handball Sport Verein Hamburg e.V. but the club has traditionally been called HSV Handball, HSV Hamburg or simply HSV.
|Full name||Handball Sport Verein Hamburg e.V.|
|Short name||HSV Hamburg|
|President||Marc Dieter Evermann|
|Head coach||Torsten Jansen|
|2020–21||2. Handball-Bundesliga, 2nd (promoted)|
Handball Sport Verein Hamburg is the amalgamation of former handball clubs VfL Bad Schwartau and the HSV Lübeck, which joined forces in 1999. In 2002 they were relocated to Hamburg in order to grow and were renamed. After the relocation they experienced financial difficulties and almost lost their licence for the German First League of Handball. With personal investments of the new president Andreas Rudolph in 2005, the club was able to focus again on the sporting operation.
Although known locally as HSV Hamburg, the club is not a division of Hamburger Sportverein, they had the rights to use their logo and their abbreviation for publicity purposes. The rights for the name and logo were rescinded when the team was disqualified from the Handball Bundesliga
On 20 January 2016, their license was removed due to irregularities, and as a result Handball Hamburg were not given a licence to participate in either First or Second Handball Bundesliga during 2016/17 season. As a result, the club was relaunched under a new crest, colours and new identity, from HSV Hamburg to Handball Sport Verein Hamburg; although the official name was kept the same.
- Staff for the 2016-17 season
|Head Coach||Torsten Jansen|
|Co-Trainer/Team coordinator||Markus Groß|
|Goalkeepers coach||Florian Meier|
|Goalkeepers coach||Philipp Kraul|
- Squad for the 2016-17 season
Notable former playersEdit
- "Evermann neuer Präsident beim HSV Hamburg" (in German). Retrieved 3 March 2017.
- "HSV Handball: Strenge Auflagen dämpfen Freude" (in German). Retrieved 3 March 2017.'
- "Der Handball Sportverein Hamburg erfindet sich neu" (in German). Retrieved 2 March 2017.
- "Lizenzentzug für HSV Handball". dkb-handball-bundesliga.de (in German). 20 January 2016.
- Handball Hamburg Official Website (in German)