This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Hampden Academy is a public high school located at 89 Western Avenue in Hampden, Maine, United States. The school is a part of Regional School Unit #22 (R.S.U. 22), with approximately 708 students from Hampden, Newburgh, Frankfort and Winterport attending grades 9–12. It has been accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.
89 Western Avenue
|Motto||"Nulla vestigia retrorsum."|
("Never a step backward.")
|School district||Regional School Unit #22 (R.S.U. 22)|
|Color(s)||Purple and white|
|Accreditation||New England Association of Schools and Colleges|
The school mascot is the Bronco.
Hampden Academy was founded in 1803. It became a member of SAD 22 in 1969 (changed to RSU 22 in 2013). It still serves as a public school that educates students from Hampden, Winterport, Frankfort, and Newburgh. The original Hampden Academy building, located across US 1A and now part of the McGraw School, is on the National Register of Historic Places. A new $51.6 million building, located behind the FieldTurf complex, was completed in 2012.
- Hiram Batchelder, Civil War soldier and Mayor of Chico, California
- Dillon Bates, former member of the Maine House of Representatives
- Mike Bordick, baseball player
- Ricky Craven, NASCAR driver, ESPN correspondent
- Matthew Gagnon, think tank executive, writer and radio host
- Jeffrey Hjelm, Maine Supreme Court Justice
- Stephen King, author (King was an English teacher at Hampden Academy)
- Frederick Low, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives in California and later governor of California
- Lewis Mayo, Minnesota state senator
- Tanya Ryno (1988), producer, director
- Jim Spohrer (1974), computer programmer
- Charles Stetson, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Maine's 6th district
- Michael Thibodeau (1984), Maine State Senate President