Guangdong National Language Regulations
The Guangdong National Language Regulations (廣東省國家通用語言文字規定) is a set of laws enacted by the Guangdong provincial government in the People's Republic of China in 2012 to promote the use of Standard Mandarin Chinese in broadcast and print media at the expense of the local standard Cantonese and other related dialects. It has also been labelled a "pro-Mandarin, anti-Cantonese" legislation (废粤推普 or 推普废粤). The law was signed and came into effect on March 1, 2012.
|Guangdong National Language Regulations|
|Alternative Chinese name|
The regulations require the entire Guangdong province to broadcast in Pǔtōnghuà Mandarin. Dialect programs and channels can be broadcast if approved by the national or provincial government. In addition, signs of service stores are to be written in simplified Chinese except when in historical sites, pre-registered logos and other exceptions or as approved by state.
Guangdong provincial governor Zhu Xiaodan (Chinese: 朱小丹) signed and set the date of the law to take effect on March 1, 2012. The requirement forces all government workers, teachers, conference holders, broadcasters, and TV staff to use Mandarin only. All state-run items involving brands, seals, documents, websites, signs, and trade names are not to use Traditional Chinese characters or Variant Chinese characters. People who do not follow the law will be punished accordingly, as the new law is mandatory.
The signing has triggered massive negative responses in Guangzhou, Hong Kong and Macau. There were talks of raising movements. The law is said to have effects equal to the elimination of the autochthonous Cantonese culture. On December 24, the Guangdong government held a press conference stating that the regulation does not in fact ban Cantonese; one official stating that such a ban will never occur. Currently, the Guangdong province has two channels approved to broadcast entirely in Cantonese, while various other channels and radio stations have dialect programs.
- 粵新聞辦：沒條例限制方言. dailynews.sina.com (in Chinese). 2011-12-24. Retrieved 2012-01-06.
- 廣東出臺通用語言文字規定 無任何條款限制方言播出. xinhuanet.com (in Chinese). 2011-12-24. Archived from the original on 2014-02-21. Retrieved 24 July 2019.
- 廣東廢粵語滅繁體 - 東方日報. orientaldaily.on.cc (in Chinese). Retrieved 2012-01-06.
- 粤语将何去何从？广东省国家通用语言文字规定明年实行_大洋社区. club.dayoo.com (in Chinese). 2011-12-17. Archived from the original on 2012-01-01. Retrieved 2012-01-06.
- 广东颁布规定限制使用方言. BBC News (in Chinese). 2011-12-18. Retrieved 2012-01-06.
- 《广东省国家通用语言文字规定》全文. news.ifeng.com (in Chinese). 2011-12-18. Retrieved 2012-01-06.
- 廣東限制粵語廣播 恐爆抗議潮. worldjournal.com (in Chinese). Retrieved 2012-01-06.
- 粵嚴令媒體 推普限制粵方言. Sing Tao Daily (in Chinese). 2011-12-18. Retrieved 2012-01-06 – via Yahoo News Hong Kong.
- 粵語播音須報准 民轟「弱智」 (in Chinese). tw.nextmedia.com. 2011-12-19. Archived from the original on 2012-01-11. Retrieved 2012-01-06.
- 广东官方："废粤"不存在 无任何条款限制方言播出. xinhua.com (in Chinese). 2011-12-25. Archived from the original on 2014-02-21. Retrieved 2012-01-13.