Group of Eight (Australian universities)
The Group of Eight (Go8) is a coalition of world-leading research intensive Australian universities. The Go8 universities are some of the largest and the oldest universities in Australia and are consistently the highest ranked of all Australian universities. In 2016 all Go8 Universities were ranked in the top 150 worldwide, with six in the top 100. Go8 Universities feature in the top 100 places for every subject area in the QS world university subject rankings. All Go8 Universities are in the QS top 100 for literature, biological sciences, environmental sciences, accounting and finance, anthropology, law and education.
|Australian National University|
University of Western Australia
University of New South Wales
University of Queensland
University of Melbourne
University of Adelaide
University of Sydney
The Go8 Board, which consists of the vice-chancellors (presidents) of its eight member universities, meets five times a year. The current Chair of the Board is Professor Ian Jacobs, Vice-Chancellor, University of New South Wales. Ms Vicki Thomson is the Chief Executive of the Group of Eight, taking up the role in January 2015.
According to the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations, in 2008 the Group of Eight universities received almost twice as much research funding as the other 31 Australian universities combined.
|University||Location||Established||World University Rankings|
|QS World (2019)||ARWU World (2018)||THE World (2019)||U.S. News (2018)||CWTS Leiden (2016)[note 1]||CWUR (2019)|
|Australian National University||Canberra||1946||24||69||49||69=||202||82|
|University of Adelaide||Adelaide||1874||114||101–150||135=||122||169||229|
|University of Melbourne||Melbourne||1853||39||38||32=||26||33||57|
|University of New South Wales||Sydney||1949||45||101–150||96=||69=||58||119|
|University of Queensland||Brisbane||1909||48||55||69||45||37||74|
|University of Sydney||Sydney||1850||42||68||59=||34=||30||71|
|University of Western Australia||Perth||1911||91||93||134||88=||151||145|
Equals signs (=) denote tied rankings.
- Listed separately from the citation
- Williams, R; Van Dyke, N (2007). "Measuring the international standing of universities with an application to Australian universities". Higher Education. 53 (6): 819–841. doi:10.1007/s10734-005-7516-4.
- Neumann, R (2002). "Diversity, doctoral education and policy". Higher Education Research & Development. 21 (2): 167–178. doi:10.1080/07294360220144088.
- "The Go8 Team". Group of Eight Australia. 26 July 2017.
- Smyth, V.; Mishra, R. (2013). "Are more senior academics really more research productive than junior academics? Evidence from Australian law schools". Scientometrics. 96 (2): 411–425. doi:10.1007/s11192-012-0886-3.
- "QS World University Rankings 2019". Retrieved 6 October 2018.
- "Academic Ranking of World Universities 2018". Shanghai Ranking Consultancy. Retrieved 6 October 2018.
- "World University Rankings 2019". Times Higher Education. Retrieved 6 October 2018.
- "Top World University Rankings | US News Best Global Universities". www.usnews.com. Retrieved 6 October 2018.
- "CWTS Leiden Ranking 2018". Centre for Science and Technology Studies, Leiden University.
- "CWUR 2019 | Top 1000 Universities in the World". cwur.org. Retrieved 6 October 2018.