Greensboro Roller Derby
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Greensboro Roller Derby is a women's flat-track roller derby league established in 2010 and based in Greensboro, North Carolina. The league consists of three home teams: the Battleground Betties, the Elm Street Nightmares, and the Mad Dollies. Each home team is named after a prominent street in Greensboro. Additionally, the league maintains two travel team, the Gate City All-Stars, which is the WFTDA charter team and competes against other WFTDA teams from around the world in sanctioned game play, and the B team, Counterstrike. Greensboro Roller Derby is a member of the Women's Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA).
|Metro area||Greensboro, North Carolina|
|Teams||Gate City All-Stars (A team)|
Greensboro Counterstrike (B team)
Elm Street Nightmares
|Venue||Greensboro Coliseum Complex|
History and organizationEdit
Greensboro Roller Derby was established early in 2010 by Aubrey "MollyFlogger" Lockard, The initial organizational meeting was held February 21, 2010 in Chumley's Bar in Greensboro, North Carolina, and was attended by over 70 women interested in participating in the league. Greensboro Roller Derby's first public bout was held in October, 2010, an exhibition bout between two ad hoc teams, the Brains and the Fangs. Two months later, the league held its second bout, titled "Winter Thunderland", with two other ad hoc teams, the Sugar Plum Scaries and the Nutcrackers.
In January 2011, the league formed its travel team and three home teams. In March, the travel team participated in its first interleague bout, defeating U.R.G.E. from South Carolina, 135 to 134. In April 2011, the league held its first intraleague bout, with the Battleground Betties defeating the Elm Street Nightmares, 166 to 107. In May of that year, the Gate City Rollergirls competed in their first out-of-town bout, losing to the Greenville Derby Dames in Greenville, South Carolina, 237 to 86. In October 2011, one year after the debut bout between the Brains and the Fangs, the league held its first double header bout.
Greensboro Roller Derby is not a for-profit organization. The proceeds from each event that go beyond league expenses are donated to a charity selected for that event. The league became a 501(c)(3) organization in 2017.
- "Greensboro Roller Derby – WFTDA". wftda.com. WFTDA. Retrieved 27 December 2017.
- Christine Maersch, ""Hell on Wheels," The Carolinian [Greensboro, NC], Feb. 17, 2010.
- Eric Ginsburg, "Greensboro Catching On To Roller Derby Trend," The Guilfordian [Greensboro, NC], March 19, 2010.
- "Area roller derby teams raise money for charity", News14 Triad
- "WFTDA Accepts 35 Apprentice Leagues Archived 2014-09-29 at the Wayback Machine", WFTDA, 16 July 2012
- "WFTDA Welcomes First Full Member Leagues in Asia and South America Archived 2013-10-04 at the Wayback Machine", 6 June 2013
- Sharpton, Bethany (29 September 2017). "Roller derby picks up momentum in the Triad". WXII-TV. Retrieved 27 December 2017.
- "Current Rankings", WFTDA
- "Rankings: December 31, 2013". WFTDA. Retrieved 27 December 2017.
- "Rankings: December 31, 2014". WFTDA. Retrieved 27 December 2017.
- "Rankings: December 31, 2015". WFTDA. Retrieved 27 December 2017.
- "Rankings: December 31, 2016 – WFTDA". wftda.com. WFTDA. Retrieved 27 December 2017.
- "Rankings: December 31, 2017 – WFTDA". wftda.com. WFTDA. Retrieved 28 December 2018.