Women's Flat Track Derby Association Rankings
Rankings for the Women's Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA) are used to determine placement in overall standings (rather than win-loss record) and also to determine seedings at WFTDA Playoffs. Achieving high rankings is also a goal for teams aiming to increase their stature in the organization. Each year at the end of June, teams are seeded into Division 1 and Division 2 playoff tournaments. Historically, the top 40 teams in the WFTDA as of June 30 were eligible for Division 1 tournaments that season, and the teams ranked 41–60 were eligible for Division 2 tournaments. For 2017, the Division 1 cutoff was reduced to the top 36 teams, with the next 16 teams qualifying for Division 2 Playoffs. The 2017 WFTDA Championships winner, Victorian Roller Derby League from Melbourne, Australia, became the first non-American team to achieve the top rankings slot in WFTDA history.
Ranking scores are calculated by averaging the number of game points a team earns in the last twelve months by the number of games played in the same time period. Game points are calculated using the following formula
where the Win/Loss Factor is three (the base value of a game) multiplied by percentage of points earned in the game and Opponent Strength is based on how far from the WFTDA-wide median score the opponent's score is. Minimum Opponent Strength for all teams is set to 0.5.
- Menning, Rick (27 March 2017). "Dub City Roller Derby win over Long Island boosts stature in WFTDA". Sun-Sentinel. Retrieved 5 January 2018.
- Sharpton, Bethany (29 September 2017). "Roller derby picks up momentum in the Triad". WXII. Retrieved 5 January 2018.
- "WFTDA Releases Nov. 30 Rankings, Announces Change to Division Assignment Process". WFTDA. 15 December 2014. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- "WFTDA Releases Tournament Locations and New Playoffs and Championships Structure". WFTDA. 30 January 2017. Retrieved 5 January 2018.
- Brown, Simon Leo (24 October 2017). "Victoria heads into roller derby championships as world's top team". ABC News. Australia. Retrieved 5 January 2018.
- "WFTDA Rankings Calculator" (PDF). WFTDA. October 2014. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- WFTDA Rankings Reverse Chronological list of all WFTDA rankings charts since February 28, 2013