Granzella Inc. is a Japanese video game developer based in Ishikawa, Japan. The company is formed from former Irem staff and engaged in planning, production and sales of console games. The company is known for developing the latest entry in the Disaster Report and R-Type series. Granzella was established in April 2011 by former staff of Irem Software Engineering Inc. (hereafter referred as Irem) after the cancellation of multiple video game projects as a result of the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami. The name of the company is derived from "Granzella Revolution Army," which appeared in R-Type Tactics II: Operation Bitter Chocolate, a game from the R-Type series developed by the staff at Irem.
|Kabushiki gaisha guranzeera|
After the company's establishment, Granzella mainly focused on developing content for PlayStation Home. On June 30, 2014, the company was split into two business divisions: "Granzella Inc." which focused on visuals and "Granzella Overseas Entertainment Inc." which focused on developing games for Western audiences and smartphones.
In December 2014, Granzella acquired IP and distribution rights of the Disaster Report series in all areas of the world, including future titles, from Irem. The company then announced the restart of development work for Disaster Report 4 Plus: Summer Memories, which was previously in limbo after Irem halted development of the game. Granzella also began distribution of previous Disaster Report titles on download services and arcades.
In September 2015, the company announced a joint project with Bandai Namco Entertainment, which eventually became City Shrouded in Shadow. The game was described as a spiritual successor to the Disaster Report series.
In November of the same year, the company announced the establishment of Gz Studios Inc., a video game development studio and Granzella Music, a music sub-label.
Games developed by GranzellaEdit
|Soccer Love||Android, iOS||March 30, 2017||Granzella||Yes||No||No||No|
|City Shrouded in Shadows||PlayStation 4||October 19, 2017||Bandai Namco Entertainment||Yes||No||No||No|
|Manga Kakeru||PlayStation Vita||January 26, 2018||Granzella||Yes||No||No||No|
|PlayStation 4||June 19, 2018||Yes||No||No||No|
|Hototogisu Tairan 1553: Ryuuko Aiutsu||Nintendo Switch||April 26, 2018||Granzella||Yes||No||No||No|
|Disaster Report 4 Plus: Summer Memories||PlayStation 4||October 25, 2018||Granzella, NIS America||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Nintendo Switch||September 26, 2019||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Windows||April 7, 2020||NIS America||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|R-Type Final 2||Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Windows, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S||April 29, 2021||Granzella, NIS America||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|R-Type Final 3 Evolved||PlayStation 5[a]||March 2023||Granzella, NIS America||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|R-Type Tactics I • II Cosmos||Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Windows, Xbox Series X/S||Summer 2023||Granzella, NIS America||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Disaster Report 5||TBD||TBD||Granzella||Yes||No||No||No|
- ^ "Kazuma Kujo Interview: Keeping Irem's Spirit Alive". forum.digitpress.com. Retrieved 2018-04-10.
- ^ "九条一馬 on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2018-04-10.
- ^ "グランゼーラ 事業分社化、新会社「グランゼーラビジュアル」「グランゼーラ・オンラインエンターテインメント」設立のお知らせ". granzella.co.jp. Retrieved 2018-04-10.
- ^ "グランゼーラ、絶体絶命都市の版権を取得". Retrieved 2018-04-10.
- ^ Barder, Ollie. "'City Shrouded In Shadow' Adds 'Patlabor' To The Mix". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-04-10.
- ^ "グランゼーラが制作部門を分社化、新会社"Gzスタジオ"を設立 - ファミ通.com". ファミ通.com (in Japanese). Retrieved 2018-04-10.
- ^ "グランゼーラ、音楽レーベル「Granzella Music」立ち上げ＆音楽配信のお知らせ". Retrieved 2018-04-10.
- ^ "グランゼーラ、スマートフォンゲーム「SOCCER LOVE（サッカーラブ）」配信のお知らせ". Retrieved 2018-04-10.
- ^ "Escape the fallout from giant kaiju battles in City Shrouded in Shadow for PS4". The Verge. Retrieved 2018-04-10.
- ^ "City Shrouded in Shadow seems a fun ride even if light on gameplay". Destructoid. Retrieved 2018-04-10.
- ^ "Manga-Making Game Manga Kakeru Releases This Month In Japan On PS4 And PS Vita - Siliconera". Siliconera. 2018-01-16. Retrieved 2018-04-10.
- ^ Romano, Sal (14 June 2018). "Manga Kakeru for PS4 launches June 19 in Japan". Gematsu. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- ^ "Hototogisu Tairan 1553 dated for the Japanese Switch eShop - Nintendo Everything". Nintendo Everything. 2018-04-10. Retrieved 2018-04-10.
- ^ "Disaster Report 4 Plus is looking real nice on PS4". Destructoid. Retrieved 2018-04-10.
- ^ Romano, Sal (22 June 2018). "Disaster Report 4 Plus: Summer Memories launches October 25 in Japan, demo launches in July". Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- ^ "R-Type Final 2, Aiming for a Brand-New, the Best Shmup Ever". Kickstarter. Retrieved 2019-06-15.
- ^ "R-Type Final 2 launches April 30 in the west. Western release set for one day after the Japanese release". Gematsu. January 29, 2021. Retrieved January 31, 2021.
- ^ "R-Type Final 3 Evolved to be published by NIS America in the west". Gematsu. October 29, 2022. Retrieved November 24, 2022.
- ^ "R-Type Final 2 Roadmap 2021". Steam. Retrieved 9 July 2021.
- ^ "R-Type Tactics I • II Cosmos first details, screenshots". Gematsu. Retrieved 7 November 2022.
- ^ "Disaster Report 5 will be open-world, set three years after Disaster Report 1". Gematsu. March 31, 2022. Retrieved November 24, 2022.