Graham Robert Oppy (born 1960) is an Australian philosopher whose main area of research is the philosophy of religion. He currently holds the posts of Professor of Philosophy and Associate Dean of Research at Monash University and serves as CEO of the Australasian Association of Philosophy, Chief Editor of the Australasian Philosophical Review, Associate Editor of the Australasian Journal of Philosophy, and serves on the editorial boards of Philo, Philosopher's Compass, Religious Studies, and Sophia.
Graham Robert Oppy
6 October 1960
|Thesis||Attitude Problems (1990)|
|Doctoral advisor||Gilbert Harman|
|"The best argument against God"[neutrality is disputed] (while naturalism is simpler than theism, there is no relevant data that naturalism fails to explain at least as well as theism does)|
Graham Oppy was born in Benalla on 6 October 1960 to a Methodist family, but he ceased to be a religious believer as a young teenager. His family moved to Ballarat in 1965 and had his secondary schooling at Wesley College, Melbourne. He attended Melbourne University from 1979, where he completed two degrees: a BA (Hons) in philosophy and a BSc in mathematics. In 1987 he started graduate work at Princeton University under the supervision of Gilbert Harman on questions in the philosophy of language.
He was a lecturer at the University of Wollongong from 1990 to 1992 and after doing a post-doc at the Australian National University, he moved to Monash as a senior lecturer, and was promoted to professor in 2005. He is currently Associate Dean of Research (since 2004) and Associate Dean of Graduate Studies in the Faculty of Arts at Monash University.
- Ontological Arguments and Belief in God, 1996. ISBN 0-521-48120-1.
- Philosophical Perspectives on Infinity, 2006. ISBN 0-521-86067-9.
- Arguing About Gods, 2006. ISBN 0-521-86386-4.
- "Evolution vs Creationism in Australian Schools", chapter in The Australian Book of Atheism, 2010. ISBN 978-1-921640-76-6.
- The Best Argument against God, 2013. ISBN 978-1-137-35413-6
- Reinventing Philosophy of Religion: An Opinionated Introduction, 2014. ISBN 978-1-137-43455-5
Notes and referencesEdit
- Oppy, Graham (1990). Attitude Problems: Semantics for Propositional Attitude Ascriptions (PhD dissertation). Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University.
- Graham Oppy, The Best Argument against God, 2013.
- "Graham Oppy's profile". Amazon.com. Retrieved 23 March 2007.
- "Curriculum Vitae - Graham Oppy". infidels.org. Retrieved 2 April 2010.
- Personal Homepage at Monash University - Includes career summary and highlights and a link to a complete list of publications.
- Graham Oppy articles at Internet Infidels
- Ontological arguments and The Turing Test at the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
- Interview on contemporary atheism
|This biography of an Australian philosopher is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|