|Part of Clan disputes of the Heian period|
|Forces of various branches of Kiyohara clan||
Forces of Minamoto no Yoshiie|
Governor of Mutsu province
|Commanders and leaders|
Kiyohara no Iehira|
Kiyohara no Takahira
Minamoto no Yoshiie|
Fujiwara no Kiyohira
The Gosannen War was part of a long struggle for power within the warrior clans of the time.
The Gosannen kassen arose because of a series of quarrels within the Kiyohara clan (sometimes referred to as "Kiyowara"). The long-standing disturbances were intractable. When Minamoto no Yoshiie, who became Governor of Mutsu province in 1083, tried to calm the fighting which continued between Kiyohara no Masahira, Iehira, and Narihira.
- Varley, H. Paul. (1994). Warriors of Japan as Portrayed in the War Tales, pp. 40-45.
- Sansom, George (1958). A history of Japan to 1334. Stanford University Press. pp. 249–252. ISBN 0804705232.
- Turnbull, Stephen (1998). The Samurai Sourcebook. Cassell & Co. p. 199. ISBN 1854095234.
- Turnbull, Stephen (1977). The Samurai, A Military History. MacMillan Publishing Co., Inc. pp. 22–25. ISBN 0026205408.
- Varley, p. 41.
- Turnbull, Stephen. (1998). 'The Samurai Sourcebook'. London: Cassell & Co.