Goodwood, Cape Town
|Municipality||City of Cape Town|
|• Total||17.94 km2 (6.93 sq mi)|
|• Density||2,800/km2 (7,300/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||17.9%|
|First languages (2011)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (SAST)|
|Postal code (street)|
The town was established in 1905 and named after Goodwood Racecourse in England as the founders intended to make it a racing centre. A course was actually constructed, but after only one meeting it was abandoned.
schools in the areaEdit
- Fairbairn College, an English-medium coeducational high school
- JG Meiring High School, an English-medium coeducational high school, this school is now built on the spot where the racecourse was built
- Hoërskool President, a dual-medium coeducational high school
- Goodwood Park, an dual-medium coeducational primary school
Coat of armsEdit
Goodwood was a municipality in its own right from 1938 to 1996. In 1939, the council adopted a pseudo-heraldic "coat of arms" depicting an aeroplane, an ox-wagon, and a horse jumping over a fence. It replaced this device with a proper coat of arms, designed by Ivan Mitford-Barberton, in 1958. The council registered the arms with the Cape Provincial Administration in May 1959 and at the Bureau of Heraldry in August 1993.
The arms were : Argent, on a fess Gules, between in chief four trees with six leaves each and in base three pallets, Sable, the central pallet surmounted by a cogwheel counterchanged, a leopard passant, Argent and Sable. In layman's terms : a silver shield displaying, from top to bottom, a row of four black trees with six leaves each, a red horizontal stripe displaying a leopard, and three black vertical stripes with a cogwheel on the centre stripe.
The crest was a palamino unicorn issuing from a golden mural crown and holding a red disc between its forelegs, and the motto was Procedo.
- "Main Place Goodwood". Census 2011.
- Essential Travel Info
- "Goodwood". South African History Online. 2011-03-16. Retrieved 2017-11-04.
- "Goodwood". Standard Encyclopaedia of Southern Africa. 5. Nasou Limited. 1971. p. 269. ISBN 978-0-625-00324-2.
- Rosenthal, E. (1980) Goodwood and its Story.
- Cape of Good Hope Official Gazette 2969 (1 May 1959).
- National Archives of South Africa : Data of the Bureau of Heraldry
- Rosenthal, Eric (1980). Goodwood and its story. Cape Town: National Book Printers. p. 126.