South African postal codes consist of four digits. Mail may be delivered either to the physical address or to a PO Box, particularly in rural areas where no street delivery is available. In addition, many large organisations may use Private Bag addresses, with mail dispatched to the holder by a mail contractor.
In the case of cities and large towns, however, the last two digits of the postal code indicate the mode of delivery. The digits "01" indicate a street address and "00" a PO Box or Private Bag address, with addresses in Port Elizabeth, for example, using the following format:
300 Kempston Road Port Elizabeth 6001
PO Box 1840 Port Elizabeth 6000
In Pretoria, however, a different format is used, with "02" indicating a street address, and "01" indicating a PO Box or Private Bag address.
370 Church Street Pretoria 0002
PO Box 427 Pretoria 0001
43 Cavendish Road Yeoville 2198
Former postal codes Edit
The South African postal code system was previously used in Namibia, then "South West Africa", including the enclave of Walvis Bay, which remained part of South Africa until 1994. It was allocated the number range 9000–9299.
Following independence, use of the South African postal code system was discontinued.
- South Africa 1978: Official Yearbook of the Republic of South Africa, Department of Information, 1978, page 445237 Redchurch Street Namibia
- South Africa, Universal Postal Union,
- "Kempston Car Rental - Port Elizabeth". Archived from the original on 23 February 2016. Retrieved 15 February 2016.
- "South African Reserve Bank". Archived from the original on 21 April 2017. Retrieved 7 October 2016.
- Yeoville - St Francis of Assisi Catholic Church Est. 1912
- South African Panorama - Volume 22, South African Information Service, 1977, page 9
- The comprehensive handbook of the postmarks of German South West Africa, South West Africa, Namibia, Ralph F. Putzel, R.F. Putzel, 1991, page 173
- Find a South African Postal Code
- "Postal Code". South African Post Office.
- South African Post Office, 2019 archive
- South African Postal Code Geography