|Single by Simple Minds|
|from the album New Gold Dream (81–82–83–84)|
|B-side||"Glittering Prize Theme"|
|Released||16 August 1982|
|Songwriter(s)||Jim Kerr, Charlie Burchill, Derek Forbes and Mick MacNeil|
|Simple Minds singles chronology|
The video continuously alternates between two main stages. The first one is set in a golden room where the band members (Jim Kerr, Charlie Burchill, and Mick MacNeil only), all dressed in black, perform the song. The other stage is set in a dark, museum-like room, under the surveillance of a napping security guard, and featuring hanging portraits of the band members' faces made of gold. A story unfolds in this latter stage as a young woman in a bikini and whose body is all painted in gold, stealthily penetrating the room and reaching out to a sarcophagus within which lies a pharaoh version of Kerr. After having touched his face and brought the other band members back to life she then drives away with them in a car. As the guard realises the burglary, the woman, now in the golden room, rests in a long chair and sips on a cocktail before the video ends.
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||9|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||4|
|United Kingdom (CIN)||16|
- "Official Charts > Simple Minds". The Official UK Charts Company. Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992 (Illustrated ed.). St Ives, N.S.W.: Australian Chart Book. p. 275. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "charts.org.nz > Simple Minds – Glittering Prize (song)". Hung Medien. Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- "norwegiancharts.com > Simple Minds – Glittering Prize (song)". Hung Medien. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- Glittering Prize 81/92 Cassette Sleeve Notes by Brian Hogg, 1992
- "Simple Minds – Glittering Prize (video)". YouTube. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- "The Irish Charts – All there is to know > Search results for 'Glittering Prize'". Fireball Media. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- "swedishcharts.com > Simple Minds – Glittering Prize (song)". Hung Medien. Retrieved 30 October 2016.