Glasgow Baillieston (UK Parliament constituency)
|Former Burgh constituency|
for the House of Commons
|Subdivisions of Scotland||City of Glasgow|
|Number of members||One|
|Replaced by||Glasgow East|
|Created from||Glasgow Shettleston|
Created for the 1997 general election, it took 54% of its voters from the previous Glasgow Shettleston constituency and 46% from the Glasgow Provan constituency. It included the areas of Easterhouse, Carmyle, Swinton, Baillieston, Garrowhill, Barlanark, Queenslie, Greenfield, and Garthamlock.
In 1997, the addition of much of the Shettleston constituency increased the notional majority of the previous Provan MP, Jimmy Wray, to 14,165 (40.7%) over the SNP.
The seat was succeeded by Glasgow East in 2005.
The City of Glasgow District electoral divisions of Baillieston/Mount Vernon, Garthamlock/Easterhouse, and Greenfield/Barlanark.
Members of ParliamentEdit
Elections of the 2000sEdit
|Scottish Socialist||Jim McVicar||1,569||6.7||+3.7|
|Liberal Democrats||Charles Dundas||1,551||6.7||+2.8|
Elections of the 1990sEdit
|SNP||Patsy J. Thomson||6,085||19.1||N/A|
|Conservative||Malcolm G. Kelly||2,468||7.7||N/A|
|Liberal Democrats||Sheila J. Rainger||1,217||3.8||N/A|
|Scottish Socialist||Jim McVicar||970||3.0||N/A|
|Labour win (new seat)|
- Housing the key to city's eastern fringe, The Herald, 29 March 1997
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "B" (part 1)
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- Vote 2001: Results & Constituencies: Glasgow Baillieston, BBC News
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
|This article related to the politics of Scotland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article relating to a constituency of the Parliament of the United Kingdom or its predecessors is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to Glasgow, Scotland, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|