Gisela Mota Ocampo
Gisela Raquel Mota Ocampo (13 March 1982 – 2 January 2016) was a Mexican politician affiliated with the PRD. As of 2013, she served as plurinominal deputy in the LXII Legislature of the Mexican Congress, representing Morelos. After winning the elections in June 2015, Mota Ocampo became mayor of Temixco on 1 January 2016, serving until her assassination the following day, on 2 January 2016. She was the first female mayor of Temixco.
Gisela Mota Ocampo
|Mayor of Temixco|
1 January 2016 – 2 January 2016
|Preceded by||Miguel Ángel Colín Nava|
|Succeeded by||Irma Camacho|
|Member of the Chamber of Deputies|
1 September 2012 – 1 August 2015
|Born||13 March 1982|
Temixco, Morelos, Mexico
|Died||2 January 2016 (aged 33)|
Pueblo Viejo, Temixco
|Cause of death||Assassination|
Mota Ocampo was arrested in October 2015 following a vehicle collision in which she was drunk driving. She subsequently assaulted a traffic officer, attempted to avoid payment for damages on the basis of being mayor-elect and insulted several individuals. Videos of this incident went viral in Mexico.
On the morning of 2 January 2016, the day following her inauguration as mayor, at least four armed men entered her home in Pueblo Viejo, where they shot and killed Mota Ocampo in the doorway. Moments later, the police pursued and killed two of the gunmen and arrested the other two.
Following Mota Ocampo's death, Morelos Governor Graco Ramírez called for three days of mourning in the state and ordered all flags in state buildings to be lowered to half-mast. Ramírez also ordered heightened security among all of the state's mayors.
Mota Ocampo's murderers were believed to be connected to a drugs cartel called Los Rojos, because she refused to allow the gang to operate within her jurisdiction. Two of the suspects were killed in a confrontation with police; another two were arrested.
- "Perfil del legislador". Legislative Information System. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "Mayor of Temixco municipality killed by drug gang". The Economist. 5 January 2016. Retrieved 19 March 2019.
- "Detienen a alcaldesa electa por chocar alcoholizada". El Universal (in Spanish).
- "Detienen a alcaldesa de Temixco por choque mientras conducía posiblemente ebria". SDPNoticias. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- Asesinan a alcaldesa de Temixco; ayer había asumido el cargo (in Spanish)
- Ellis, Ralph; Brocchetto, Marilia (3 January 2016). "Mexican mayor slain one day after taking office". CNN. Retrieved 2016-01-03.
- "Mayor killed after less than a day in office". Mexico News Daily. 2 January 2016. Retrieved 2016-01-03.
- Sherman, Christopher; Verza, Maria (3 January 2016). "3 Held in Slaying of Mexico Mayor a Day After Taking Office". ABC News. Associated Press. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
|This article about a Party of the Democratic Revolution politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|