|Born||December 12, 1963|
|Area(s)||Comics artist, cartoonist, filmmaker, author|
|Awards||2005 Goscinny Prize, Max & Moritz Prize, Best Book at Angoulême|
2008 Inkpot Award
His graphic novel Appunti per una storia di guerra (Notes for a War Story), published by Coconino Press, appeared in France and was published in the United States by First Second Books. It won the 2005 Goscinny Prize for Best Script and was proclaimed Best Book at Angoulême in 2006. Notes for a War Story follows three young men in a war-torn country –intended to be any number of European countries. "In the Italian version of the book", Gipi has remarked, "the name of the villages are Italian names, in the French version, French names. I didn't want the reader to think, ‘This war happens elsewhere, far from me.’ My intention was to make people think about the possibilities of a war suddenly arriving in their own home".
Gipi has created Gli innocenti (The Innocents) for the Ignatz Series and in 2006 this work earned him an Eisner Award nomination and a Max & Moritz Prize. The Innocents is about a reformed thug who takes his young nephew down to the seaside, where they visit an old friend who has just been released out of prison for a crime he did not commit.
In 2000, he founded Santa Maria Video. Santa Maria is a studio through which he creates video and animation shorts. His debut as a film director, The Last Earthling, premiered at the 68th Venice International Film Festival.
In 2015 he successfully crowdfunded and launched Bruti, a card game about melee combats between warriors and enchanters set in a dark fantasy with a medieval feel. Gipi designed the game and illustrated each card. The deluxe version of the rulebook includes a long introductory comic.
- Esterno notte (2003)
- Notes for a War Story (Appunti per una storia di guerra, 2004)
- Garage Band (Questa è la stanza, 2005)
- S. (2006)
- LMVDM – La mia vita disegnata male (2008)
- One Story (Unastoria, 2013)
- Land of the Sons (La terra dei figli, 2016)
- Momenti straordinari con applausi finti, Bologna, Coconino Press, 2019. ISBN 8876185232
- The Innocents (Gli innocenti, 2005)
- They Found the Car (Hanno ritrovato la macchina, 2006)
- Diario di fiume e altre storie (2009)
- Verticali (2009)
- Baci dalla provincia (2011)
- Inkpot Award
- Comic creator: Gipi (Gianni Pacinotti)
- First Second - Creators - Gipi Archived 2008-05-17 at the Wayback Machine
- Words Without Borders
- Fantagraphics Books - Gipi
- "Venezia 68: L'ultimo terrenstre - Gian Alfonso Pacinotti (Gipi)". labiennale.org. Venice Biennale. Archived from the original on 2011-08-26. Retrieved 2011-08-26.
- "Bruti on BoardGameGeek". Retrieved 2016-04-08.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gianni Pacinotti.|