8 July 1856
|Died||6 September 1884 (aged 28)|
Feriye Palace, Ortaköy, Istanbul, Ottoman Empire
(present day Istanbul, Turkey)
Imperial ladies mausoleum, New Mosque, Istanbul
(m. 1872; died 1876)
|House||Svatnba (by birth)|
Ottoman (by marriage)
|Father||Salih Bey Svanba|
|Mother||Princess Şaziye Hanım Tsamba|
Gevheri Kadın was born on 8 July 1856 in Gudauta, Abkhazia. Born as Emine Svanba, she belonged to Abkhazian noble family, Svanba. Her father was Salih Bey Svatnba, and her mother was Princess Şaziye Hanım Tsamba, the daughter of Prince Osman Bey Tsamba. She had a younger sister named Fatma Hanım (1858 – 1925).
She had been brought to Istanbul as a young child, where her father entrusted her to the imperial harem. She was then place in the service of Sultan Abdülaziz's mother Pertevniyal Sultan, where her name according to the custom of the Ottoman court was changed to Gevheri.
Gevheri married Abdulaziz in 1872 in the Dolmabahçe Palace, and was given the title of "Senior Fortunate". A year after the marriage, on 21 March 1873, she gave birth to her first child, a daughter, Esma Sultan. On 21 September 1874, she gave birth to her second child, a son, Şehzade Mehmed Seyfeddin in the Çırağan Palace. Sometime later she was elevated to the title of "Fifth Consort", and in 1876, to the title of "Fourth Consort".
Abdulaziz was deposed by his ministers on 30 May 1876, his nephew Murad V became the Sultan. He was transferred to Feriye Palace the next day. Gevheri, and other women Abdulaziz's entourage didn't wanted to leave the Dolmabahçe Palace. So they were grabbed by hand and were send out to the Feriye Palace. In the process, they were searched from head to toe and everything of value was taken from them. On 4 June 1876, Abdulaziz died under mysterious circumstances.
|Esma Sultan||21 March 1873||7 May 1899||married once, and had issue, three sons and one daughter|
|Şehzade Mehmed Seyfeddin||21 September 1874||19 October 1927||married twice, and had issue, three sons and one daughter|
- Yıldırım, Tahsin (2006). Veliahd Yusuf İzzettin Efendi Öldürüldü mü? İntihar mı etti?. Çatı Yayıncılık. p. 34.
- Sakaoğlu 2008, p. 642.
- Açba 2007, p. 94.
- Açba 2007, p. 94 n. 55.
- Tunç, Muhammed Nuri (2013). Ceyb-i Hümâyûn Hazinesi ve Topkapı Sarayı Müzesi Arşivi R.1288 (M.1872) Tarihli Ceyb ve Harc-ı Jâssa Defterlerinin Transkripsiyonu ve Değerlendirilmesi (PhD Thesis). Gaziantep University Institute of Social Sciences. p. 113.
- Uluçay 2011, p. 233.
- Uluçay 2011, p. 235.
- Sakaoğlu 2008, p. 645.
- Bey, Mehmet Sürreya (1969). Osmanlı devletinde kim kimdi, Volume 1. Küğ Yayını. p. 269.
- Bardakçı, Murat (2017). Neslishah: The Last Ottoman Princess. Oxford University Press. p. 116. ISBN 978-9-774-16837-6.
- Uçan, Lâle (2019a). Dolmabahçe Sarayı’nda Çocuk Olmak: Sultan Abdülaziz’in Şehzâdelerinin ve Sultanefendilerinin Çocukluk Yaşantılarından Kesitler. FSM İlmî Araştırmalar İnsan ve Toplum Bilimleri Dergisi. p. 233.
- Karahüseyin, Güller; Saçaklı, Palin Aykut (2004). Dolmabahçe Sarayı Harem Dairelerinin Mekan Fonksiyonlart Açısından Değerlendirilmesi. TBMM Milli Saraylar Daire Başkanlığı Yayını Istanbul. pp. 86, 98.
- Uluçay 2011, p. 233-4.
- Zürcher, Erik J. (October 15, 2004). Turkey: A Modern History, Revised Edition. I.B.Tauris. p. 73. ISBN 978-1-850-43399-6.
- Shaw, Stanford J.; Shaw, Ezel Kural (1976). History of the Ottoman Empire and Modern Turkey: Volume 2, Reform, Revolution, and Republic: The Rise of Modern Turkey 1808-1975, Volume 11. Cambridge University Press. pp. 164. ISBN 978-0-521-29166-8.
- Brookes 2010, p. 40.
- Davison, Roderic H. (December 8, 2015). Reform in the Ottoman Empire, 1856-1876. Princeton University Press. p. 341. ISBN 978-1-400-87876-5.
- Brookes 2010, p. 43.
- Açba 2007, p. 95.
- Uluçay 2011, p. 234.
- Uçan 2019, p. 23-24. sfn error: no target: CITEREFUçan2019 (help)
- Uluçay 2011, p. 235-36.
- Brookes 2010, p. 281.
- Uçan 2019, p. 24. sfn error: no target: CITEREFUçan2019 (help)
- Açba, Harun (2007). Kadın efendiler: 1839-1924. Profil. ISBN 978-9-759-96109-1.
- Brookes, Douglas Scott (2010). The Concubine, the Princess, and the Teacher: Voices from the Ottoman Harem. University of Texas Press. ISBN 978-0-292-78335-5.
- Sakaoğlu, Necdet (2008). Bu mülkün kadın sultanları: Vâlide sultanlar, hâtunlar, hasekiler, kadınefendiler, sultanefendiler. Oğlak Yayıncılık. ISBN 978-9-753-29623-6.
- Uluçay, Mustafa Çağatay (2011). Padişahların kadınları ve kızları. Ankara: Ötüken. ISBN 978-9-754-37840-5.
- Uçan, Lâle (2019b). Son Halife Abdülmecid Efendi'nin Hayatı - Şehzâlik, Veliahtlık ve Halifelik Yılları (PDF) (PhD Thesis). Istanbul University Institute of Social Sciences.