George Osborne, 10th Duke of Leeds
George Godolphin Osborne, 10th Duke of Leeds JP (18 September 1862 – 10 May 1927), styled Earl of Danby from birth until 1872 and subsequently Marquess of Carmarthen until 1895, was a British peer and Conservative politician.
The Duke of Leeds
|Treasurer of the Household|
|Preceded by||Arthur George Brand|
|Succeeded by||The Viscount Curzon|
|Member of Parliament for Brixton|
|Preceded by||Ernest Baggallay|
|Succeeded by||Evelyn Hubbard|
He was the second and oldest surviving son of George Osborne, 9th Duke of Leeds, and his wife, Hon. Frances Georgiana Pitt-Rivers, daughter of George Pitt-Rivers, 4th Baron Rivers. Osborne was educated at Eton College and then at Trinity College, Cambridge.
Osborne entered the British House of Commons in 1887, representing Brixton until 1895, when he succeeded his father in his titles. In his first three years as Member of Parliament (MP), he was assistant secretary to Henry Holland, 1st Viscount Knutsford.
He served as Treasurer of the Household in 1895 and 1896, and sat in the London County Council. Osborne was a Justice of the Peace for the North Riding of the County of York. He was a lieutenant in the Yorkshire Hussars and an honorary captain in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve. Osborne commanded the Royal Yacht Squadron and was a naval aide-de-camp to the king.
The Duke was noted for his racing greyhounds. His gambling debts played a part in the sale of the family seat Hornby Castle by his heir.
On 13 February 1884 he married Lady Katherine Frances Lambton, second daughter of George Lambton, 2nd Earl of Durham, and Lady Beatrix Frances Hamilton, at St Paul's Knightsbridge, and had by her, four daughters and one son.
- Lady Gwendolen Fanny Godolphin Osborne (2 March 1885 – 25 February 1933) she married Algernon Gascoyne-Cecil (son of Lt.-Col. Lord Eustace Brownlow Henry Gascoyne-Cecil) on 17 July 1923.
- Lady Olga Katherine Godolphin Osborne (3 October 1886 – 9 August 1929);
- Lady Dorothy Beatrix Godolphin Osborne (3 December 1888 – 18 June 1946) she married Patrick Bowes-Lyon, 15th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne on 21 November 1908. They had four children and three grandchildren.
- Lady Moira Godolphin Osborne (20 May 1892 – 20 May 1976) she married Oliver Lyttelton, 1st Viscount Chandos. on 30 January 1920. They have four children.
- John Francis Godolphin Osborne, 11th Duke of Leeds (12 March 1901 – 26 July 1963) he married Irma de Malkhozouny on 27 March 1933 and they were divorced in 1948. He remarried Audrey Young on 21 December 1948 and they were divorced in 1955. They have one daughter. He remarried, again, Caroline Vatcher on 22 February 1955.
- "Leigh Rayment - Peerage". Retrieved 25 August 2009.
- Cokayne, George Edward (1887). Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom. vol. V. London: George Bell & Sons. p. 39.
- "Osborne, George Godolphin, Marquess of Carmarthen (OSBN882GG)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- Walford, Edward (1919). The County Families of the United Kingdom. London: Spottiswoode, Ballantyne & Co. Ltd. p. 793.
- "Leigh Rayment - British House of Commons, Brixton". Retrieved 25 August 2009.
- Whitaker's Peerage, Baronetage, Knightage and Companioage. J. Whitaker & Sons. 1923. p. 371.
- Who is Who 1914 (66th ed.). London: Adam & Charles Black. 1914. p. 1227.
- Historic England. "Hornby Castle Park (1420079)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 28 December 2015.
- "ThePeerage - Sir George Godolphin Osborne, 10th Duke of Leeds". Retrieved 9 April 2007.
- Fox-Davies, Arthur Charles (1929). Armorial Families. vol. II. London: Hurst & Blackett. p. 1476.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to George Osborne, 10th Duke of Leeds.|
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by George Osborne, Marquess of Carmathen
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for Brixton
1887 – 1895
Arthur George Brand
| Treasurer of the Household
1895 – 1896
|Peerage of England|
| Duke of Leeds
1895 – 1927