George Dean Johnson Jr. (born July 22, 1942) is an American politician in the state of South Carolina. Brought up in Spartanburg, he served in the South Carolina House of Representatives from 1969 to 1974, elected as Democratic, Republican and Independent, representing Spartanburg County, South Carolina. He is a lawyer.
George Dean Johnson Jr.
|Member of the South Carolina House of Representatives for Spartanburg County|
|Born||July 22, 1942|
Columbia, South Carolina
|Alma mater||BA from Wofford College in 1964 and JD from University of South Carolina Law School in 1967|
He later served on many NYSE publicly traded boards including Extended Stay America, Advance America Cash Advance, AutoNation, Inc., Florida Panthers, Duke Energy Corporation, Morgan Corporation, Inc. Boca Resorts, Viacom, Norfolk Southern Corporation, Home Choice, Inc., Alrenco, Inc., William Barnet & Sons, Inc. and Bankers Trust of South Carolina. Wayne Huizenga was his business partner in the creation of Extended Stay America and later was involved in the creation of a major Blockbuster franchise, which eventually included 208 stores. The pair later merged with Blockbuster, where Johnson was named a company president.
- George Dean Johnson, Jr. | Legacy of Leadership Profile | Knowitall.org Retrieved 2018-06-27.
- General Assembly, South Carolina (1972). "South Carolina Legislative Manual". Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- "USC Upstate". Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- Kolody, Tracy (11 August 1996). "EXTENDED STAYING POWER". Sun-Sentinel.com. Retrieved 2020-11-10.
- McDermott, John (6 August 2017). "Land deal by South Carolina video chain pioneer provides 'happy ending'". Post and Courier. Retrieved 2020-11-10.
- "George Johnson Hopes Hotels Are Blockbuster: Bloomberg Profile". Bloomberg. 1997-04-25. Retrieved 2020-11-10.
- McCash, Vicki (17 July 1993). "BLOCKBUSTER BUYS LARGEST FRANCHISEE". South Florida Sun Sentinel. Retrieved 2020-11-10.