George Cooper (British Army officer)
Sir George Cooper
|Born||10 August 1925|
|Years of service||1945–1984|
|Commands held||South East District (1979–81)|
South West District (1974–75)
19th Airportable Brigade (1969–71)
|Awards||Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath|
Educated at Downside School and Trinity College, Cambridge, George Cooper was commissioned into the Royal Engineers in 1945. He joined the Bengal Sappers & Miners. He served in the Korean War and was awarded the Military Cross for his service in that campaign.
Cooper became Commander Royal Engineers in the 4th Infantry Division in 1966. He went on to become Commander, 19th Airportable Brigade in 1969, General Officer Commanding South West District in 1974 and Director of Army Staff Duties in 1976. After that he became General Officer Commanding South East District in 1979. He became Adjutant General in 1981, before retiring in 1984.
Cooper was appointed ADC General to the Queen in 1982, retaining that status until 1984. He was also appointed a Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath in 1979, and a Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath in 1984.
In retirement, Cooper became a member of the Board of Management of GEC UK. He also became a Deputy Lieutenant of Essex, and released the book Fight, Dig and Live about the part the Royal Engineers played in the Korean War.
In 1957 Cooper married Cynthia Mary Hume and together they went on to have one son and one daughter.
- "No. 37297". The London Gazette (Supplement). 9 October 1945. p. 4936.
- Debrett's People of Today 1994
- "No. 40036". The London Gazette (Supplement). 8 December 1953. p. 6652.
- "No. 48511". The London Gazette (Supplement). 3 February 1981. p. 1564.
- "No. 48574". The London Gazette (Supplement). 7 April 1981. p. 5046.
- "No. 49069". The London Gazette (Supplement). 3 August 1982. p. 10134.
- "No. 49754". The London Gazette. 5 June 1984. p. 7748.
- "No. 47869". The London Gazette (Supplement). 16 June 1979. p. 2.
- "No. 49583". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 1983. p. 2.
- "No. 52244". The London Gazette. 15 August 1990. p. 13319.
- Fight, Dig and Live Anazon Books
| GOC South West District
Sir Anthony Farrar-Hockley
| GOC South East District
Sir Paul Travers
Sir Robert Ford
| Adjutant-General to the Forces
Sir Roland Guy
Sir Hugh Beach
| Chief Royal Engineer
Sir Scott Grant
|This biographical article related to the British Army is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|