Genus plc is a British-based business selling elite genetics and other products manufactured using biotechnology to cattle and pig farmers. It is headquartered in Basingstoke and is a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index.
|Headquarters||Basingstoke, Hampshire, UK|
|Iain Ferguson, Chairman |
Steven Wilson, CEO
|Revenue||£551.4 million (2020)|
|£47.6 million (2020)|
|£40.9 million (2020)|
The business has its origins in the former Breeding & Production Division of the Milk Marketing Board which was established in 1933 and broken up in 1994. In 1999 Genus acquired ABS Global, a company founded by J.R. Prentice in the US as the American Breeders Service in 1941 selling the semen of cattle. In 2005 Genus acquired, through the takeover of Sygen International plc, PIC, a company founded by six pork producers in the UK as the Pig Improvement Company in 1962.
The Company has three divisions:
- "Genus plc - Investor Relations - Genus Board". genusplc.com. Archived from the original on 10 July 2017. Retrieved 25 February 2021.
- "Annual Report 2020" (PDF). Genus plc. Retrieved 1 March 2021.
- The BSE Inquiry Archived 2008-10-10 at the Wayback Machine
- "Genus agrees to acquire ABS Global". Milwaukee Business Journal. 3 August 1999. Retrieved 1 March 2020.
- "Genus Completes Acquisition Of Sygen". The Pig Site. Archived from the original on 9 February 2012. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "Genus". Market Watch. Retrieved 25 March 2018.