The name Gautam (Sanskrit: गौतम, a vrddhi patronymic of Gotama and also transliterated as Gautama or Gauthama) is one of the ancient Indian names and is derived from the Sanskrit roots गः gaḥ and तम tama. Tama means “darkness” and gaḥ means inter alia "bright light". Together, they indicate that one, who dispels darkness (i.e. ignorance) by his brilliance (i.e., spiritual knowledge).
Gautam Brahmins are generally found in western part of Uttar Pradesh (mainly in Mathura, Agra, Hathras, Aligarh and Bulandsahar districts) and also in adjoining Rajasthan.
- Mohan Lal Gautam - a Freedom Fighter, who represented the Koyil North West constituency of the Aligarh district in the first legislative assembly of Uttar Pradesh
- Satish Gautam - Member of Parliament from Aligarh U.P.
- Sheela Gautam - Former Member of Parliament(4 times) from Aligarh U.P.
- Dr. Umesh Gautam - Mayor of Bareilly
- Dr. Hari Pratap Gautam - Former Chairman, University Grants Commission, Former Vice Chancellor, Banaras Hindu University, Former Principal, Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Medical College, Lucknow.
- Dr. O. P. Gautam - Former Secretary, Department of Agricultural Research & Education, Former Director General, Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi
- cf. The article was taken from http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia/srirangasri/archives/srsvol/threads.html, Sri Ranga Sri archives with permission of Anbil Ramaswamy and was based on the monograph of Mahaamah Opaadhyaaya Sri Srivatsaankaachaar Swami, Head of Dept. French Indological Research Institute, Pondicherry and “MaharishigaL Charitram” by Mimamsa SirOmaNi Mimamsa Vidvan Mimamsa Kovida, Ubhaya Mimamsa Saaragjna, Veda Vedanta ChooDaamaNi Sri N.S. Devanathachariar, referred by Sri Srivatsankachariar Swami. Retrieved 2012-04-26.