This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Gabrielle Ruiz (born December 12, 1984) is an American actress best known for playing the role of Valencia Perez on The CW musical comedy-drama series Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. Prior to Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, she performed in several Broadway musicals.
|Born||December 12, 1984|
Edinburg, Texas, United States
|Alma mater||Oklahoma City University|
|Spouse(s)||Philip Pisanchyn (m. 2016)|
Early life and educationEdit
Gabrielle was born to Eduardo and Sylvia Ruiz in Edinburg, Texas. She discovered her love of performing at a young age through dance. She was trained in dance at Melba's School of Dance and the Texas Association for Teachers of Dance. She also took vocal lessons and was part of the Texas All-State Choir. She attended public schools through high school, and graduated from Oklahoma City University with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Dance Performance in 2007. While in college she was a member of the American Spirit Dance Company, OCU Rhythms, numerous musicals, work-study, and the Alpha Phi women's fraternity.
After college, Ruiz landed various roles on both television and Broadway. Her breakthrough role was playing Valencia Perez on The CW comedy-drama series Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. Lin Manuel Miranda, the creator of Hamilton, saw her perform in his musical In the Heights and referred her to the CXG show producers. On the basis of his recommendation, she got an audition and then landed the part.
|2014||Sex, Love, and Salsa||Maria||Indie Film Award, Best Featured Actress|
|2015-2019||Crazy Ex-Girlfriend||Valencia Perez||Recurring (season 1), Main (seasons 2-4)|
|2016||Orange is the New Black||Singing Inmate #2||"Power Suit"|
|2013||Law & Order: SVU||Tina||"Deadly Ambition" (2013)|
|2009||Sesame Street||Singing Electrician||"Y a Quest, Y Not?"|
|2007||One Life to Live||Principal Dancer||Episode #1.9956|
|If/Then||Featured, understudy Anne & Elena||Richard Rodgers Theater|
|In the Heights||Carla, understudy Nina & Vanessa||Richard Rodgers Theater|
|A Chorus Line||Diana Morales||First National Tour|
- "'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend': Rebecca and Valencia have more in common than Josh Chan". 2015-10-19. Retrieved 2016-08-10.
- Krauser, Emily (March 15, 2019). "Gabrielle Ruiz Talks Upcoming 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend' Finale". Entertainment Tonight. Retrieved 2020-08-29.
- Bradley, Laura (November 19, 2016). "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend's Gabrielle Ruiz Is All in for Valencia's Feminist Awakening". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 2020-08-29.
- Greenberg, Rudi (April 5, 2018). "Actress Gabrielle Ruiz loosens up for the 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend' live tour". The Washington Post. ISSN 0190-8286. Retrieved 2020-08-29.
- "Gabrielle Ruiz of 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend' on Hollywood Diversity and Boxed Water". vice.com. 10 March 2016. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
- "Gabrielle Ruiz* ~ Bio". www.gabrielleruiz.net. Archived from the original on 2016-04-01. Retrieved 2016-04-08.
- "See Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Star Gabrielle Ruiz's Gorgeous Wedding Photos!". 2016-08-05. Retrieved 2016-08-08.