Građanski košarkaški klub Šibenka, commonly referred to as GKK Šibenka or simply Šibenka, is a men's professional basketball club from Šibenik, Croatia, that plays in the Croatian League and the Alpe Adria Cup.
|2021–22 GKK Šibenka season|
|Nickname||Građani (The Citizens)|
Narančasti (The Oranges)
Alpe Adria Cup
|Founded||2 November 2010|
|Arena||Baldekin Sports Hall|
|Capacity||900 (if needed 1,726)|
|Team colors||Orange and Black|
|Head coach||Damir Milačić|
|Championships||1 First Men's League|
The club was founded on 2 November 2010 under the name of Šibenik Stari Grad (English: Šibenik Old Town). In August 2011, the club changed its name to GKK Šibenik. As famous club, KK Šibenik, bankrupted, GKK Šibenik competed with local Jolly Šibenik to become most popular basketball club in town, carrying the legendary club's colors and playing in the same basketball hall, Baldekin. GKK Šibenik won the sympathies of many Šibenik residents who now see the club as a successor to the famous KK Šibenik.
In 2012–13 season of the second-tier A-2 Liga, the club came first being promoted to the A-1 League. Today, they also plays in the first tier of the Croatian basketball league system, HT Premijer liga. In September 2016, the club management announced replacing Jeronimo Šarin with Vladimir Anzulović as head coach, and signing Miralem Halilović, Ive Ivanov, Luka Pandurić, and Ivan Siriščević. Lastly, the club finished in third in the domestic league season, defeating Zagreb in the playoffs quarter-finals, and losing to powerhouse, Cibona, in the semifinals of the 2016–17 A-1 League playoffs. In the next season, the club finished in fifth place after losing in the quarter-finals of the championship playoffs to Split. Head coach Anzulović left bench, which was taken by his former assistant, Miro Jurić.
On 13 June 2019, after domestic league season was finished, a longtime main sponsor, Doğuş Group, announced that they will leave the club after six years of the partnership. On 27 June, the club confirmed and presented newly formed board led by its president, Ante Burić. On 6 August, the club management announced the club has changed name to GKK Šibenka (Građanski košarkaški klub Šibenka fully; English: Šibenka Citizens' Basketball Club).
- Winners (1): 2012–13
|GKK Šibenka roster|
Updated: September 14, 2020
|Pos.||Starting 5||Bench 1||Bench 2||Bench 3|
|C||Valentin Jurković||Bruno Solomun||Ivan Vraneš|
|SF||Henrik Širko||Marko Vlaić|
|SG||Ivan Gulin||Domagoj Bašić||Juraj Pleadin||Trey Freeman|
|PG||Ivan Živković||Kristijan Andabaka||Domagoj Šarić||Antonio Klarin|
Source: Board of Directors
- Roko Badžim
- Domagoj Bašić
- Ivan Blaće
- Filip Bundović
- Vladimir Dašić
- Georgios Diamantakos
- Nikola Došen
- Trey Freeman
- Tomislav Gabrić
- Miralem Halilović
- Ive Ivanov
- Martin Junaković
- Franko Kaštropil
- Nikola Korač
- Milija Miković
- Ivan Mileković
- Ozren Mišić
- Toni Nakić
- Teo Petani
- Krešimir Radovčić
- Ivan Siriščević
- Nik Slavica
- Ljubo Šamadan
- Henrik Širko
- İzzet Türkyılmaz
- Toni Vitali
- Jakov Vladović
- Zoran Vrkić
- Filip Vukičević
- On 9 April 1983, Šibenka and Bosna played the deciding game 3 of their playoff final series that was decided in the last second: with Bosna up by a point and the clock winding down as Šibenka had the last possession, Bosna's Sabit Hadžić was adjudged to have fouled Šibenka's Dražen Petrović as he went up for a shot at the buzzer. Since being in the act of shooting, Petrović got two free throws and proceeded to score both, winning the game and championship for his team. Next morning, the Basketball Federation of Yugoslavia (KSJ) presidency reviewed the game on account of supposed refereeing irregularities. They decided to void the result, ordering a rematch in Novi Sad. Šibenka decided to boycott the decision. Since Šibenka failed to show up for the Novi Sad game, the title got awarded to Bosna.
- "Sjećanje Svetislava Pešića na utakmicu Šibenka-Bosna: Ako je i bio faul vrijeme je isteklo". Basketball.hr (in Croatian). 9 April 2018. Retrieved 10 February 2020.
- "O klubu". gkk-sibenik.hr (in Croatian). Retrieved 29 June 2019.
- "Kraj jedne ere: Dogus grupa izašla iz GKK Šibenika, Bašar Egemen: 'Težak je ovo trenutak'". sibenskiportal.rtl.hr (in Croatian). Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- "Šibenski odvjetnik Ante Burić novi je predsjednik GKK Šibenika". m.sibenik.in (in Croatian). 27 June 2019. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- "STRAŠNE NAJAVE IZ DRAŽENOVA GRADA: Slavni klub želi postati prvak Hrvatske - odmah!". net.hr (in Croatian). 27 June 2019. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- "EKSKLUZIVNO Vraća se Šibenka! Narančasti danas na Izvanrednoj skupštini vraćaju slavno ime kluba s Baldekina". sibenskiportal.rtl.hr (in Croatian). 6 August 2019. Retrieved 6 August 2019.
- "Vraća se legendarno ime kluba! Opet će se s Baldekina oriti Ši-Ši Šibenka". gkk-sibenik.hr (in Croatian). 7 August 2019. Retrieved 8 August 2019.
- "Sportska dvorana Baldekin" (in Croatian). Javna ustanova športski objekti "Šibenik". Retrieved 4 October 2020.
- "FOTO: 'JEDAN JE TEO (KA)PETANI': Na Baldekinu osvanuo transparent podrške srčanom playmakeru". sibenskiportal.rtl.hr (in Croatian). Retrieved 27 December 2019.