Fumiya Sankai (三海郁弥, Sankai Fumiya, born March 19, 1995) is a Japanese vlogger, actor, recording artist and influencer in the Philippines. He has been active in his YouTube Channel, FumiShun Base, since 2015. His fame grew when he became the first pure Japanese official housemate in Pinoy Big Brother: Otso, a reality TV show for Filipinos. The "Konnichi-Wonder Vlogger ng Japan", as he is called, Fumiya finished the 9-month running show as the 5th big placer.
Fumiya Sankai at the Spotted Magazine Photoshoot
|Other names||Fumi, Humi|
Star Hunt Management
|Height||170 cm (5 ft 7 in)|
|Labels||Universal Music Japan|
|Total views||92 million|
Updated: January 14, 2021
1995 – 2017: Early life and career beginningsEdit
Fumiya was born on March 19, 1995, in Hamamatsu Shizuoka Japan. He was raised alongside his three siblings: two brothers named Yuya and Shunya, and one sister named Asami. He is the eldest in their family.
After his High School graduation, Fumiya started living alone in Tokyo while pursuing his degree in Hotel Management.
He joined the hospitality workforce after his graduation from school and worked in a hotel in Ginza as a bell boy. He resigned from his hotel job after two years and decided to pursue his dream of establishing his own clothing line.
He thought that being famous would make his clothes sell faster and one way would be to become famous as a vlogger. He then started making YouTube videos.
2017 – March 2020: Life in the PhilippinesEdit
Having observed their hotel guests, he realized that being able to speak English is important for his business plans. On the 28th day of April 2017, he flew to the Philippines to study English.
He attended the Lyceum of the Philippines in Manila for his English lessons.
He learnt of the PBB audition from his Filipino followers. He attended and documented his audition for his vlog content and he was able to pass all the screenings and became an official PBB OTSO housemate.
After PBB, he stayed in the Philippines to pursue a career in show business.
April 2020–present: Life in the time of the COVID-19 PandemicEdit
On March 20, 2020, a few days after Metro Manila, Philippines was placed under Enhanced Community Quarantine to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic, Fumiya travelled back to Japan. Since several cities in Japan were also placed under a State of Emergency and it was also strongly advised for their citizens to stay at home, Fumiya spent majority of his time at his family home in Hamamatsu City Shizuoka.
Fumiya established his YouTube channel, FumiShun Base, with, his younger brother, Shunya, on December 2, 2015, but only posted their first video on September 6, 2016.
While studying in the Philippines, he continued to upload videos in his YouTube channel as a means to update his parents of his whereabouts.
On April 2018, his channel hit 100K subscribers awarding him with the YouTube Silver play button. On March 7, 2019, he hit the one million subscribers mark, awarding him with a gold play button.
Some notable vlogs were his song covers of Iñigo Pascual’s Dahil Sayo, Daniel Padilla’s Simpleng Tulad Mo, Juan Karlos’ Buwan, Maja Salvador’s Dahan Dahan, and Ex Battallion’s Hayaan Mo Sila which was featured in Rated K.
Other notable vlogs are his auditions to PBB Otso in Araneta Cubao and Cebu.
When the channel started, Japanese was the primary language used in his videos. English subtitles were added since most of his subscribers were Filipinos. After his stint in PBB, he shifted to a mixture of English and Tagalog. Subtitles were no longer added.
This posed a problem for his growing fanbase. With the growing demand from Japanese subscribers, he established the Hiragana FumiShun Base (ふみしゅんべーす) YouTube Channel on April 13, 2020. This channel uses pure Japanese.
The main concept of the main FumiShun Base Channel's content is his exploration of the Filipino culture. When he started being active as an actor, his content shifted to his daily life as a celebrity. The dynamics of the channel shifted and the original flavor was lost. To better categorize his content, he established Fumi (later on renamed to Fumi Vlogs / ふみ) on May 17, 2020. On May 25, a week after the launch, the channel has reached 10,000 subscribers.
This channel features a more personal content, leaving his main channel to focus on his exploration to the Filipino culture.
His FumiShun Base channel went back to its original content and the change was felt in the faster rise of subscribers. On June 15, 2020, he hit the 2 million subscribers mark. This was momentous for Fumiya for it is the first time that he was able to celebrate a million subscriber milestone since he was inside the PBB house in his first million.
Fumiya's dream was to establish his very own clothing line. Most of his business ventures are aligned to this dream.
Fumiya opened the official shop for his YouTube channel on June 22, 2019. The shop features his original designs from when he started his channel. Items were sold out on the first week.
He also did a collaboration with Livertineage Japan. His designs were released for pre-orders on February 7, 2020.
Fumiya opened FumiShun Base Hamamatsu, his first business venture, on February 16, 2020. The establishment is a museum which exhibits Fumiya's memoirs from his childhood, life as a vlogger, and his life in the Philippines. FumiShun Base merchandise are also being sold.
The earnings of his museum will be used for charity.
Fumiya was already known as a creator, but his fame rose when he became an official housemate of PBB Otso. He has since been added as a regular cast in a sitcom, Home Sweetie Home: Extra Sweet, and a prime time romantic comedy TV Series, Make It with You.
He has also appeared in several TV and digital programs under ABS-CBN such as Umagang Kay Ganda, It's Showtime, Matanglawin FB Live, iWant’s Tawa Tawa Together, iWant ASAP, and Online Kapamilya Show's Caldero Files. He has also guested in multiple episodes of ASAP, Magandang Buhay, Rated K, Minute to Win It, Gandang Gabi Vice, and Tonight with Boy Abunda. He was also the Myx Celebrity VJ for December 2019.
On April 2020, his first show as a host, Highway Harvest, became available through TFC Online.
He has also released several singles under Star Music. Stay With Me this Christmas was at the top spot of the charts on the Christmas week of 2019.
Fumiya held his first major concert (Fumiya Amazing ‘Di Ba?) at the Music Museum on November 15, 2019. His guests included the rest of Team LAYF, Jeremy Glinoga, MNL48, AC Bonifacio and Alex Gonzaga.
Simultaneous to his activities in the Philippines, he has also started being active with his public relations in Japan.
He has been featured in several newspapers and has appeared in several TV shows in Japan:
|June 24, 2020||Tadaima TV||TV Shizuoka|
|February 17, 2020||Tadaima TV||TV Shizuoka|
|February 6, 2020||Ohayou Nippon||NHK Japan|
|January 29, 2020||Ohayou Shizuoka||NHK Shizuoka|
He has also released several singles under Universal Music Japan. Sige Sige Bahala Na peaked at No. 4 in iTunes Philippines (#1 under the JPop category) and No. 97 in iTunes Singapore when it was released (digital platforms) on August 28, 2019.
Fumiya had an operation in 2015 for a collapsed lung. In December 4, 2019, while he was in Japan, he experienced the same symptoms prompting him to visit a doctor the next day. He was diagnosed again with a collapsed lung. His right lung was smaller due to the air pressure caused by several holes on his lung.
On December 11, 2019, he underwent a surgery to remove the part of his lung with the said holes. The surgery was successful and he stayed in Japan to recover. He returned to the Philippines after 2 and half months of recovery.
|2019||Like A Dreamy Xmas|
|Stay With Me this Christmas|
|Ikaw Ang Pinili ng Puso ko|
|2018||Sige Sige Bahala Na|
|Smilemaker (with Shogo)||
Concerts and ToursEdit
- A Beautiful LAYF in Baliwag (November 24, 2019)
- Fumiya Amazing ‘Di Ba? (November 15, 2019)
- Fumiyam in Singapore (October 20, 2019)
|2020||Caldero Files||Himself||Online Kapamilya Shows (OKS)|||
|Highway Harvest||Himself||TFC Online|||
|2020||Make It with You||Yuta Himura||ABS-CBN|||
|2019||MYX||Himself (Celebrity VJ)|||
|Home Sweetie Home: Extra Sweet||Hiro Tanahashi|||
|Pinoy Big Brother: Otso||Himself (Official Housemate)|||
|2020||Mang Kepweng: Ang Lihim ng Bandanang Itim||Appear||Official Entry to 2020 Metro Manila Film Festival|||
|2020||VP Choice Awards 2020||Most Promising Male Star||Nominated|||
|MYX Awards 2020||MYX Celebrity VJ of the Year||MYX Celebrity VJ for December||Nominated|||
|RAWR Awards 2020||Beshie ng Taon||Make It with You||Won|||
|2019||33rd PMPC Star Awards for TV||Best New Male TV Personality||Home Sweetie Home||Nominated|||
|PUSH Awards Year 5||PUSH Newcomer of the Year||Nominated|||
|RAWR Awards 2019||Newbie of the Year||Home Sweetie Home||Nominated|||
- Corporation, ABS-CBN. ""PBB Otso" Batch 2 features housemates with incredible stories | ABS-CBN Corporate". ABS-CBN. Retrieved January 26, 2020.
- "Meet the Ultimate Big Four of PBB Otso". PEP.ph. Retrieved January 26, 2020.
- Corp, ABS-CBN. "IN PHOTOS: Meet the handsome brothers of Konichi-Wonder Vlogger ng Japan Fumiya Sankai!". entertainment.abs-cbn.com. Retrieved January 31, 2020.
- I'm back on YouTube!!, retrieved April 25, 2020
- "Japan declares nationwide state of emergency". BBC News. April 16, 2020. Retrieved July 4, 2020.
- MARAMING SALAMAT PO!!!!!!!!!!, retrieved April 25, 2020
- Admin, Star Cinema. "Fumiya Sankai hits 1 million subscribers on YouTube! | Star Cinema". starcinema.abs-cbn.com. Retrieved January 26, 2020.
- TEAM, PUSH. "PBB housemate Fumiya Sankai hits 1 million Youtube subscribers | PUSH.COM.PH: Your ultimate showbiz hub!". push.abs-cbn.com. Retrieved January 26, 2020.
- News, ABS-CBN. "VIRAL: Japanese guy covers 'Hayaan Mo Sila'". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved April 25, 2020.
- "Rated K: The life of Fumiya before joining PBB | ABS-CBN Entertainment". ent.abs-cbn.com. Retrieved April 25, 2020.
- WHY I MADE NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL? – Fumiya, retrieved May 25, 2020
- ROAD TO 2MILLION SUBSCRIBERS!!, retrieved June 15, 2020
- FumiShun Base Shop launch!!, retrieved May 2, 2020
- "LIVERTINE AGE on Instagram: ". Fumiya × LIVERTINE AGE Collaboration Item . 本日17時よりFumiyaさんとのコラボアイテムの受注予約販売を開始しました！ 今回のコラボでは半袖Tシャツと長袖Tシャツをご用意！！ .…"". Instagram. Retrieved April 25, 2020.
- Base, FumiShun (January 28, 2020). "2月16日(日)午前10時に FumiShun Base Hamamatsu が OPEN". @FumishunB (in Japanese). Retrieved April 25, 2020.
- Welcome to FSB Hamamatsu!, retrieved May 2, 2020
- "FumiShun Base Hamamatsu on Instagram: "【FumiShunBaseHamamatsu臨時休館のお知らせ】 国内外での新型コロナウイルス(COVID-19)の感染症拡大の防止のため、2月29日土曜日より、3月15日日曜日まで臨時休館とさせていただきます。…"". Instagram. Retrieved May 25, 2020.
- "FumiShun Base Hamamatsu on Instagram: "【FumiShun Base Hamamatsu臨時休館延長のお知らせ】 国内外での新型コロナウイルス(COVID-19)の感染症拡大の防止のため、臨時休館を3月31日(火)までに延長させて頂きます。 急なご案内となりご迷惑をおかけしますが、何卒ご理解お願いいたします。…"". Instagram. Retrieved May 25, 2020.
- "FumiShun Base Hamamatsu on Instagram: "【FumiShun Base Hamamatsu臨時休館延長のお知らせ】 国内外での新型コロナウイルス(COVID-19)の感染症拡大の防止のため、臨時休館を4月19日(日)までに延長させて頂きます。 再開日は、4月20日(月)…"". Instagram. Retrieved May 25, 2020.
- "FumiShun Base Hamamatsu on Instagram: "【FumiShun Base Hamamatsu休館延長のお知らせ】 再開予定日は、4月20日(月) 以降とさせて頂いておりましたが、 国内外での新型コロナウイルス(COVID-19)の感染症拡大の防止のため、休館を延長させて頂きます。…"". Instagram. Retrieved May 25, 2020.
- "Toni finds a new family in Home Sweetie Home: Extra Sweet". entertainment.abs-cbn.com. Retrieved January 26, 2020.
- Sep 24, Steph Esguerra Olarte |; 2019 (September 24, 2019). "LOOK: Liza Soberano And Enrique Gil Are In Croatia For Their Upcoming Teleserye, 'Make It With You'". COSMO.PH. Retrieved January 26, 2020.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- PH, One Music. "PBB Otso Ex-Housemate Fumiya Sankai To Hold A Major Concert". One Music PH. Retrieved January 26, 2020.
- "Fumiya: Amazing 'Di Ba? « Music Museum Group". Retrieved January 26, 2020.
- "Star Events on Instagram: "Ito na nga taraga! 1 day to go na lang, "FUMIYA AMAZING 'DI BA?" at Music Museum. ready na si @23shun_base ready na ba kayo?!…"". Instagram. Retrieved January 26, 2020.
- "「やらまいかアンバサダー」 第１号は浜松市出身のユーチューバーのＦｕｍｉｙａさん". FNNプライムオンライン. Retrieved July 4, 2020.
- News, ABS-CBN. "Ex-'PBB' housemate Fumiya Sankai to undergo lung operation". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved January 26, 2020.
- News, ABS-CBN. "Ex-'PBB' housemate Fumiya Sankai's lung operation a success". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved January 26, 2020.
- "Fumiya Sankai feeling better after lung surgery". PEP.ph. Retrieved January 26, 2020.
- Pray – Fumiya #Stayhome #WithMe, retrieved April 18, 2020
- LIKE A DREAMY XMAS – Fumiya [Official Music Video], retrieved January 26, 2020
- Stay With Me This Christmas – Fumiya (Lyrics), retrieved January 26, 2020
- Ikaw Ang Pinili Ng Puso Ko, retrieved January 26, 2020
- Sige! Sige! Bahala na! – Fumiya ［Official Music Video］, retrieved January 26, 2020
- Smilemaker, retrieved May 1, 2020
- CREATIVES, STAR (May 18, 2020). "Yummier days are coming dahil ipagluluto ka ni IDOL sa isa sa mga pinakabagong #OnlineKapamilyaShows, #CalderoFiles!Ihahain na ang mga easy-to-cook at budget-friendly meals kaya watch its premiere ngayong May 21". @starcreativestv (in Tagalog). Retrieved May 25, 2020.
- Highway Harvest | Let your journey on learning, earning, and meaning begin on April 9 on TFC Online!, retrieved April 8, 2020
- "The MYX Celebrity VJs For December". myx.abs-cbn.com. Retrieved April 20, 2020.
- Anarcon, James Patrick (November 24, 2020). "10 MMFF 2020 entries revealed; Vice-Ivana, Joshua Garcia movies out". PEP.PH. Retrieved December 9, 2020.
- Baltan, Angela Grace (March 19, 2020). "Five official nominees for Most Promising Male Star 2020". Village Pipol. Retrieved March 20, 2020.
- #MYXAwards2020: Pairs dominate MYX Celebrity VJ of the Year category. Retrieved May 22, 2020.
- RAWR Awards 2020 Full List of Nominees. Retrieved October 25, 2020.
- "LIST: Winners, PMPC Star Awards for Television 2019".
- Corp, ABS-CBN. "Who will win in this year's Push Awards". Push Awards Year 5. Retrieved January 26, 2020.
- "RAWR Awards 2019 – CUB CATEGORIES". LionhearTV. Retrieved April 20, 2020.
- Full List Of Winners of the RAWR Awards 2019. Retrieved May 22, 2020.