Friend, Our Legend
Friend, Our Legend (Korean: 친구, 우리들의 전설; RR: Chingu, Urideurui Jeonseol) is a 2009 South Korean television series starring Hyun Bin, Kim Min-jun, Seo Do-young, Lee Si-eon and Wang Ji-hye. It aired on MBC from June 27 to August 30, 2009 on Saturdays and Sundays at 22:40 for 20 episodes.
|Friend, Our Legend|
|Also known as||Friend, Our Story|
|Created by||Kwak Kyung-taek|
by Kwak Kyung-taek
|Developed by||Lee Jae-dong|
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||20|
|Executive producer||Lee Chang-jun|
|Original network||Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation|
|Original release||June 27 –|
August 30, 2009
It is a remake/TV adaptation of Kwak Kyung-taek's own 2001 box-office hit film Friend. Partnering up with another director and two scriptwriters, Kwak returned to the classic tale of male bonding, adding "more meat," in his words, to the original plot by writing a new character and more in-depth exploration of certain characters' lives, including their romances. Like the original film, the series was shot entirely in Busan. To maintain quality, it was 100% pre-produced before airing, a rarity among Korean dramas.
Based on the 2001 film, Friend, Our Legend expands and retells Kwak Kyung-taek's semi-autobiographical rough-and-tumble tale about four childhood friends coming of age in the tough streets of Busan in the 1970s and 1980s. As they enter into manhood, best friends Dong-soo and Joon-seok become enemies and bitter rivals in the city's underworld of gangs.
- Hyun Bin as Han Dong-soo
- Kim Min-jun as Lee Joon-seok
- Seo Do-young as Jung Sang-taek
- Lee Si-eon as Kim Joong-ho
- Wang Ji-hye (credited as Min Ji-hye) as Choi Jin-sook
- Bae Geu-rin as Park Sung-ae
- Jeong Yu-mi as Min Eun-ji
- Jung Hye-sung as Sae-ri
- Kim Dong-hyun as Joon-seok's father
- Lee Jae-yong as Sang-gon, gangster boss
- Cha Do-jin (credited as Im Sung-kyu) as "Doruko"
- Choo Min-ki as Joong-ki
- Kim Rok-kyung as "Kangaroo"
- Kim Ri-na as Do-yeon
- Kwon Jae-hyun as umbrella man
- Seo Gil-ja as loan shark
- Kim Jong-soo as Dong-soo's father
- Kim Yoon-sung as "Hyena"
- Noh Jun-ho
- Moon Ga-young as young Jin-sook
- Joo Ah
- Go In-beom
- Lee Sol-gu as Seom Pyo-joo
- Kwak Min-suk
- Han, Sang-hee (June 23, 2009). "Friends, Lawyers to Hit Small Screen". Retrieved September 5, 2013.
- Oh, Jean (June 24, 2009). "Legal wars and blood brothers hit TV". The Korea Herald. Retrieved September 5, 2013.
- Hwang, Jin-hwan (July 4, 2008). "Blockbuster Friend to Be Reproduced as TV Series". The Korea Times. Retrieved September 5, 2013.
- Han, Sang-hee (July 8, 2008). "Movie-Based Dramas to Fill TV Screens". The Korea Times. Retrieved September 5, 2013.
- Choi, Ji-eun (November 24, 2009). "INTERVIEW: Hyun Bin - Part 1". 10Asia. Retrieved September 5, 2013.
- Choi, Ji-eun (November 24, 2009). "INTERVIEW: Hyun Bin - Part 2". 10Asia. Retrieved September 5, 2013.
- Choi, Ji-eun (November 24, 2009). "INTERVIEW: Hyun Bin - Part 3". 10Asia. Retrieved September 5, 2013.
- Kang, Myoung-seok (December 2, 2009). "10LINE: Actor Hyun Bin". 10Asia. Retrieved September 5, 2013.