Franklin Township, Columbia County, Pennsylvania
Scenery of Franklin Township from State Route 3012
Map of Columbia County, Pennsylvania highlighting Franklin Township
Map of Columbia County, Pennsylvania
|• Total||13.53 sq mi (35.04 km2)|
|• Land||13.09 sq mi (33.90 km2)|
|• Water||0.44 sq mi (1.14 km2)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||44.53/sq mi (17.20/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
Franklin Township is in southwestern Columbia County, bordered by Montour County to the west and Northumberland County to the south. The Susquehanna River forms the northern border, and Roaring Creek, its tributary, crosses the township and forms part of its western boundary.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 13.5 square miles (35.0 km2), of which 13.1 square miles (33.9 km2) is land and 0.42 square miles (1.1 km2), or 3.25%, is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 597 people, 231 households, and 181 families residing in the township. The population density was 45.3 people per square mile (17.5/km2). There were 267 housing units at an average density of 20.3/sq mi (7.8/km2). The racial makeup of the township was 99.66% White, 0.34% from other races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.34% of the population.
There were 231 households, out of which 33.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.8% were married couples living together, 6.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.6% were non-families. 19.0% of all households were made up of individuals, and 6.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.58 and the average family size was 2.90.
In the township the population was spread out, with 23.8% under the age of 18, 7.0% from 18 to 24, 29.6% from 25 to 44, 24.1% from 45 to 64, and 15.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females, there were 111.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 109.7 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $41,161, and the median income for a family was $42,750. Males had a median income of $29,464 versus $26,875 for females. The per capita income for the township was $17,096. About 4.5% of families and 7.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.2% of those under age 18 and 3.9% of those age 65 or over.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Aug 13, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001): Franklin township, Columbia County, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on February 13, 2020. Retrieved May 21, 2015.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Franklin Township, Columbia County, Pennsylvania.|