Born in Tours, now in Indre-et-Loire, Pallu was recruited by Alexander de Rhodes, SJ, as a secular clergy volunteer to become a missionary in Asia, together with Pierre Lambert de la Motte and Ignace Cotolendi. These were sent to the Far East as Apostolic vicars.: 229–230
In 1658, Pallu became Bishop of Heliopolis, and Vicar apostolic of Tonkin, Laos, and five provinces of southwest China.: 231 The three bishops left France (1660–62) to go to their respective missions, and crossed Persia and India on foot, since Portugal would have refused to take non-Padroado missionaries by ship, and the Dutch and the English refused to take Catholic missionaries. Lambert left Marseilles on 26 November 1660, and reached Mergui in Siam 18 months later. Pallu, with nine associates, left on 3 January 1662.: 232 He joined Lambert in the capital of Siam Ayutthaya after 24 months overland, but Mgr Cotolendi died upon arrival in India on 6 August 1662.
In 1674, Pallu was sailing to his archdiocese in Tonkin, but met with a storm and had to land in Manila. He was imprisoned by the Spanish and put on a ship to Acapulco and from there to Spain to be judged. He was finally freed through the intervention of Pope Innocent XI and Louis XIV. After this involuntary trip around the world, he would only be able to return to Siam in July 1682.
- Relation abregée des missions et des voyages des évèques françois (1668)
- Mémoire sur l'état présent des missions et des évèques francais vicaires apostoliques dans la Chine et dans les royaumes de l'Orient (1677).: 416
- Relations des missions et voyages des évèques, vicaires apostoliques, et leurs éclesiastiques"" (1680).: 416
- État sommaire des missions de la Chine.
- Viet Nam by Nhung Tuyet Tran, Anthony Reid p.222
- An Empire Divided by James Patrick Daughton, p.31
- Lach, Donald F; Van Kley, Edwin J (1998). Asia in the Making of Europe. 3. University of Chicago. ISBN 9780226467658.
- Missions, p.4
- Missions, p.4
- The Cambridge History of Southeast Asia by Nicholas Tarling, p.191
- Les Missions Etrangeres, p.48
- Failure in the Far East by Malcolm Vivian Hay, p.41
- Christianity in China, Tartary, and Thibet by Evariste Régis Huc, p.104
- Les Missions Etrangeres, p.51
- Anderson, Gerald H. Biographical Dictionary of Christian Missions Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing, 1999 ISBN 0-8028-4680-7 
- Missions étrangères de Paris. 350 ans au service du Christ 2008 Editeurs Malesherbes Publications, Paris ISBN 978-2-916828-10-7
- Les Missions Etrangères. Trois siecles et demi d'histoire et d'aventure en Asie Editions Perrin, 2008, ISBN 978-2-262-02571-7