Foxit PDF Reader (formerly Foxit Reader) is a multilingual freemium PDF (Portable Document Format) tool that can create, view, edit, digitally sign, and print PDF files. Foxit Reader is developed by Fuzhou, China-based Foxit Software. Early versions of Foxit Reader were notable for startup performance and small file size. Foxit v3.0 was found to be comparable to Adobe Reader. The Windows version allows annotating and saving unfinished PDF forms, FDF import/export, converting to text, highlighting, and drawing. Until version 9.7.2 Foxit Reader had PDF creation features, including a "Foxit PDF Printer" for Windows, allowing all programs to "print" output to PDF; they were removed in May 2020 from later versions. Foxit PDF Reader also includes an Enterprise version, which requires a Foxit account.
|Developer(s)||Foxit Software, Inc.|
|Stable release||18.104.22.168537 (January 28, 2022)|
|Size||Around 100 MB|
|Available in||English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and 35 other languages|
|Type||Desktop publishing software|
Foxit Software adds support for new platforms, and withdraws ones considered obsolete. Microsoft operating systems from Windows 95, Windows Mobile (CE), Windows RT, and Windows Phone were all supported, but have been discontinued. Systems currently supported are reported on the Foxit Web site, and include versions of Windows, Mac OS, and older versions of Linux. Mobile versions are available for telephones and tablets running Android and Apple iOS.
In July 2014, the Internet Storm Center reported that the mobile version for iPhone was transmitting unencrypted telemetry and other data to remote servers located in China despite users attempting to opt out of such data collection.
Versions of Foxit Reader up to 9.7.2 added a "Foxit PDF printer" to Windows; this allowed any program to send its printable output to a PDF file. This was removed in later versions, an action much criticised by users. On 9 June 2021 Foxit said "Foxit PDF Printer will not be added in Foxit Reader in the foreseeable future", and suggested using Foxit PDF Editor for PDF creation. Ways to extract the PDF printer from an older version were published. Alternatively, Foxit PDF printer can also be installed directly from the link provided by Foxit Support.
- "Foxit PDF Reader Version History". Foxit Software. Retrieved 2022-02-04.
- "Foxit PDF Reader". Foxit. Retrieved 2021-07-01. Click "System Requirements" for list of operating systems currently supported, and minimum hardware requirements.
- Popa, Bogdan (1 December 2014). "Foxit Reader". Softpedia. SoftNews.
- Andrew Harrison (6 April 2009). "PC World, Foxit (PDF) Reader review". PC World magazine. Archived from the original on 24 July 2015.
- "Foxit Reader Version History". Foxit Software.
PDF creation is not available in Foxit Reader 10.0.
- "Foxit PDF Reader for Enterprise Register". Foxit Software. Retrieved 2022-01-31.
- Foxit Reader V1.2 Beta For Windows Mobile Smartphone - User Manual (PDF). Foxit. 2012.
- "Foxit Reader locks up - Linux Mint 64 bit Cinnammon". PDF Forum | Foxit Software. Retrieved 2021-07-23.
- "Foxit PDF Reader Mobile for Android, iOS". Foxit. Retrieved 1 July 2021.
- Hillier, Jim. "Freeware and the bundling of extras". Daves Computer Tips. Retrieved 16 July 2021.
- Rogers, Nick. "Beware of Malware when you download". Clear Computer Help. Retrieved 16 July 2021.
- "Best PDF Editor Tools for Linux in 2021 – PDF View, Split, Merge, Convert Tools". After Linux. Retrieved 16 July 2021.
- Wesemann, Daniel (22 July 2014). "App 'telemetry'". InfoSec Handlers Diary. SANS Institute.
- "Foxit PDF printer gone after Foxit Reader upgrade". PDF Forum - Foxit Software. Retrieved 30 June 2021. Criticism of removal of PDF printer from Foxit Reader - Posts by users and responses from Foxit, starting on 13 May 2020.
- "redlettertech/FoxitReaderPDFPrinter.ps1 - script will install the Foxit Reader PDF Printer". GitHub. Retrieved 30 June 2021.