Forces of Nature (1999 film)
|Forces of Nature|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Bronwen Hughes|
|Produced by||Susan Arnold|
|Written by||Marc Lawrence|
|Music by||John Powell|
|Edited by||Craig Wood|
|Distributed by||DreamWorks Pictures|
|Box office||$93.9 million|
Ben Holmes (Affleck) is a "blurb" writer responsible for writing the short introductions on the sleeves of hardcover books. On his way from his home in New York City to Savannah, Georgia for his wedding to Bridget (Maura Tierney), he's already anxious about flying. His nerves are worsened when he's seated next to Sarah (Bullock), a free-spirited drifter who begins to talk to Ben immediately. On takeoff, a bird flies into one of the engines, causing a flameout. Now completely afraid to fly, Ben reluctantly agrees to travel with Sarah, who also needs to get to Savannah within a few days.
During the course of their trip, luck seems to want to prevent them from getting to their destination — from being on the wrong car of a train to getting caught in various thunderstorms. However, Ben is impressed by Sarah's fun-loving personality, and starts to form a close bond with her. As they get nearer to their destination, Ben starts to wonder if he's making the right choice in getting married to Bridget, or if he should just let fate pair him with Sarah, who reveals that she is separated from her son who lives in Savannah. Upon arrival, Ben and Bridget still agree to get married since they realize even after everything that has happened, they truly love each other. Sarah witnesses the reconciliation and sneaks away to go find her son and move on with her life.
- Ben Affleck as Ben Holmes
- Sandra Bullock as Sarah Lewis
- Maura Tierney as Bridget Cahill
- Steve Zahn as Alan
- Blythe Danner as Virginia Cahill
- Ronny Cox as Hadley Cahill
- Michael Fairman as Richard Holmes
- Richard Schiff as Joe
- Afemo Omilami as Cab Driver
- David Strickland as Steve Montgomery
- Jack Kehler as Vic DeFranco
- Janet Carroll as Barbara Holmes
- Meredith Scott Lynn as Debbie
- George D. Wallace as Max
- Steve Hytner as Jack Bailey
- John Doe as Carl Lewis
- Anne Haney as Emma
- Bert Remsen as Ned
- Bill Erwin as Murray
Forces of Nature received mixed reviews from critics, as the movie currently holds a 45% rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 65 reviews.
- "Forces of Nature at Box Office Mojo". Retrieved 2010-09-29.
- "Movies Filmed in South Carolina: Forces of Nature". Retrieved June 7, 2018.
- "Joseph Johnson House – Beaufort, South Carolina". South Carolina Picture Project. Retrieved June 7, 2018.