For Your Eyes Only (song)(Redirected from For Your Eyes Only (Sheena Easton song))
"For Your Eyes Only" is the theme tune to the 12th James Bond movie, For Your Eyes Only, written by Bill Conti and Mick Leeson, and performed by Scottish singer Sheena Easton. The song reached number four on the US Billboard Hot 100, and number eight on the UK Singles Chart. It was nominated for Best Original Song at the Academy Awards in 1982.
|"For Your Eyes Only"|
|Single by Sheena Easton|
|from the album For Your Eyes Only (soundtrack)|
|B-side||"For Your Eyes Only" (instrumental)|
|Released||August 3, 1981|
|Songwriter(s)||Bill Conti, Mick Leeson|
|Sheena Easton singles chronology|
|James Bond theme singles chronology|
The song itself is written by Bill Conti and Mike Leeson.
Conti – who was also responsible for the film's score – had originally written the song thinking about Donna Summer or Dusty Springfield, singers he thought "fit the Bond style". Film studio United Artists suggested Sheena Easton, an up-and-coming singer who had recently scored a No.1 hit in America with "Morning Train". Conti heard Easton's debut album Take My Time and felt unimpressed, but decided to work with her in the song after meeting Easton in person. Leeson's lyrics originally only used "for your eyes only" as the final line, as the lyricist felt he could only use the phrase as a conclusion. After credit sequence artist Maurice Binder complained about having to synchronize the unveiling of the title with it being said in the theme song, Conti decided to work with Leeson to write lyrics that opened with "for your eyes only".
Easton is the only artist (to date) to be seen singing the theme song to a Bond movie during its opening titles, as Maurice Binder liked Easton's appearance and decided to add her to the credits. Her seductive appearance in these clips was, according to Roger Moore, more sexy than any of the Bond girls, although Easton herself states that the filming process was very unglamorous. In particular, Binder had to attach Easton to a chair so she would be immobile during a take where the camera zooms on the singer's lips.
The song was released as a single in June 1981, at the same time as the film's launch. It became a worldwide hit, reaching the top ten in the UK, number 1 in the Netherlands and top five in the US. It remains one of Easton's biggest hits and is still included on numerous compilation soundtrack albums.
The video "For Your Eyes Only" was directed by Steve Barron. The song's music, with different lyrics & a different title ("To Know No Boundaries"), was used in a series of advertisements for Merrill Lynch during the mid-1980s.
- Johnny Pearson, on his 1982 instrumental album, On Golden Pond.
- Helena Vondráčková recorded the Czech rendering "Jsem Stále Stejná" for her 1983 album Zrychlený Dech.
- Bradley Joseph, who toured with Easton for a number of years as her musical director, arranged an instrumental version for his 2006 album, Piano Love Songs.
- Also in 2006 the song was covered by Thomas Anders for his swing album Songs Forever.
- The song was covered by Austrian symphonic metal band Edenbridge. It was released as a single in 2006.
- Freedy Johnston, on the 2017 multi-artist compilation album, Songs, Bond Songs: The Music Of 007. 
|Australian Kent Music Report||6|
|Austrian Top 40||3|
|Canadian RPM Top Singles||5|
|Dutch Top 40||1|
|French Singles Chart||4|
|German Top 100||5|
|Irish Singles Chart||11|
|Japan Oricon Singles Chart||22|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||4|
|Norwegian Singles Chart||1|
|Spanish Singles Chart||11|
|Swedish Singles Chart||3|
|Swiss Singles Chart||1|
|UK Singles Chart||8|
|US Billboard Hot 100||4|
|US Billboard Adult Contemporary||6|
Alternate rejected theme songEdit
Like other Bond themes before it, Sheena Easton's version was not the only recorded song for the film. Rock band Blondie also recorded a song for the film that was optioned to the studio.
- Whitburn, Joel (2006). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits. Billboard Books
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums. London: Guinness World Records Limited
- Bill Conti. For Your Eyes Only audio commentary. For Your Eyes Only - Ultimate Edition, Disk 1: MGM Home Entertainment.
- Silhouettes - the James Bond Titles. You Only Live Twice Ultimate Edition, Disk 2: MGM Home Entertainment.
- Channel 4 - Top Ten Pop Princesses (documentary)
- BBC documentary - Never Can Say Goodbye, November 2000
- "Songs, Bond Songs: The Music Of 007"