Football at the 1908 Summer Olympics
At the 1908 Summer Olympics in London, Great Britain, an official football tournament between national representative selections was contested for the first time: football at the two previous games had been played between club teams. Eight teams entered (including two from France, the main team and a "B" side), although Hungary and Bohemia withdrew before the start. Denmark's Sophus "Krølben" Nielsen set a record by scoring 10 goals in a 17-1 win against France. Great Britain won the gold. Among those representing the Danish team was the famous mathematician Harald Bohr.
The "Challenge Cup", awarded to
the winning team
|Host country||Great Britain|
|Venue(s)||1 (in 1 host city)|
|Champions||Great Britain (2nd title)|
|Goals scored||48 (8 per match)|
|Top scorer(s)||Sophus Nielsen (11 goals)|
|N. Middelboe 10', 49'
Wolfhagen 15', 17', 67', 72'
Bohr 25', 47'
S. Nielsen 78'
|Stapley 15', ??'
Woodward ??', ??'
Purnell ??', ??', ??', ??'
Hawkes ??', ??'
|Stapley 37', 60', 64', 75'||Report|
|S. Nielsen 3', 4', 6', 39', 46', 48', 52', 64', 66', 76'
Lindgren 18', 37'
Wolfhagen 60', 72', 82', 89'
N. Middelboe 68'
Bronze medal matchEdit
The French were so shocked by their 17–1 defeat against Denmark that they declined to play for the bronze medal; therefore, the Netherlands played Sweden for third place.
Gold medal matchEdit
|1||Great Britain (H)||3||3||0||0||18||1||+17||6||Champions|
|5||France||1||0||0||1||1||17||−16||0||Eliminated in semi-finals|
|6||France B||1||0||0||1||0||9||−9||0||Eliminated in first round|
Complete list of medal winners:
|Men's tournament|| Great Britain
| Denmark (DEN)
Peter Marius Andersen
Magnus Beck 
Ødbert E. Bjarnholt
| Netherlands (NED)|
Frans de Bruyn Kops
Bok de Korver
Jan van den Berg
Lo la Chapelle
Tonie van Renterghem
- 11 goals
- 8 goals
- 6 goals
- 4 goals
- 3 goals
- 2 goals
- 1 goal
|1||Horace Bailey||Great Britain||1||3||0.33|
|5||Fernand Desrousseaux||France B||9||1||9.00|
- Cook, Theodore Andrea (1908). The Fourth Olympiad, Being the Official Report. London: British Olympic Association.
- Olympic Football Tournament London 1908, FIFA.com
- "Football at the 1908 London Summer Games". Sports Reference. Archived from the original on 17 April 2020. Retrieved 29 September 2018.
- Great Britain's first home Olympic football adventure by Jon Carter on ESPN, 26 July 2012
- Games of the IV. Olympiad - Football Tournament (London, England, October 19 - 24, 1908) by Lars Aarhus on the RSSSF
- Olympic Tournament - 1908 London on IFFHS
- "Netherlands 2 Sweden 0 (Match summary)". www.footballdatabase.eu. 23 October 1908. Retrieved 5 May 2009.
- "Men's Olympic Football Tournament (Statistics, Facts & Figures 1908–2016): Statistical Kit (including Rio 2016) – Ranking by tournament 1908–2016" (PDF). FIFA.com. Fédération Internationale de Football Association. 27 March 2017. p. 16. Retrieved 29 April 2020.
- Footballers in London
- Those players were also in squad, but did not play any matches.
- (in Danish) Slutrundetrupper 1908-2004 at Danish Football Union Archived 2012-08-09 at the Wayback Machine
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Association football at the 1908 Summer Olympics.|