From top, left to right: Sun rising at Folweni, Morning assembly at Folweni high school, Angle view of Masuku primary school, Heritage day performance at Masuku primary school.
|• Total||3.40 km2 (1.31 sq mi)|
|• Density||8,945/km2 (23,170/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||99.9%|
|First languages (2011)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (SAST)|
Folweni township is divided into three sections namely;
The original population of Folweni were people who stayed in Umlazi who were forced to migrate when the apartheid government implemented the Group Areas Act.
On 26 July 1992 During the political conflict between the ANC and the IFP, a group of men believed to be IFP loyalists armed with AK47s descended on Folweni and killed approximately 20 people who were attending a ceremony, the event is now known as the Folweni Massacre.
Folweni Clinic is currently the main source of health care. It is located in the B-section of the township.
- Masuku Primary School
- Hlengisizwe Primary School
- Mklomelo Junior Primary School
- Golokodo Primary School
- Celubuhle Senior Primary Secondary School
- Dabulizizwe Primary School
- Phembisizwe Primary School
Like most townships in south africa, folweni township has a high crime rate due to unemployment and drug abuse.
- "eThekwini — Metropolitan". kznonline. 2016-08-02. Retrieved 2020-01-16.
- "Demographics — eThekwini". citypopulation.de. Retrieved 2020-01-16.
- "Truth Commission - Special Report". Sabctrc.saha.org.za. 1992-07-26. Retrieved 2020-01-15.
- "20-are-shot-dead-in-south-africa-while-attending-zulu-ceremony". nytimes.com. 1992-07-26. Retrieved 2020-01-16.
- "Folweni Clinic". cbm.blacksash.org.za. Retrieved 2020-02-19.
- "youth-drug-addiction-surge-in-south-africa". africanews.com. 2017-09-08. Retrieved 2020-01-14.