Fo Tan (Chinese: 火炭) is an area of Sha Tin, New Territories, Hong Kong. It was developed as a light industrial area, but this activity has declined markedly in recent years. There are residential areas to the east, alongside the MTR line, and in the foothills to the west.
View of Fo Tan
|Literal meaning||fire charcoal|
Fo Tan is located around a river, the Fo Tan Nullah. Historically, a beach was revealed when the water receded. The area thus became known as "river beach" (Chinese: 河灘). In Hakka, this was pronounced "Fo Tan". It was later mistakenly called "Fire Beach" (Chinese: 火灘) due to similarities in pronunciation. This has further changed into "Fire Charcoal" (Chinese: 火炭) which is in current use, again due to similarities in pronunciation.
North East South West To the south is Sha Tin New Town, with the small community of Wo Che in between. To the north is Kau To and the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK). Nearby to the east is Sha Tin Racecourse while across the Shing Mun River is City One Shatin.
Since 2001, as most industrial businesses have closed and moved to mainland China, more than 70 units in the utilitarian industrial blocks have reopened as artists' studios, creating a vibrant if well hidden local arts scene. Every January, a festival, Fotanian - Open Studio Programme, sees many of the studios open to the public. Guided walks lead visitors to these normally private working studios, which encompass a wide range of media and styles such as ceramic and floral design.  Fo Tan was chosen for artist spaces because the ceilings of the buildings are high and because it is in the middle of the New Territories.
Public housing estatesEdit
Private housing estatesEdit
Private housing estates in Fo Tan include:
There are originally 24 Hakka villages in Fo Tan including:
- Fo Tan Village (火炭村)
- Wo Liu Hang
- Fotan art district grows in Hong Kong’s industrial area - Art Radar Asia
- Fotan Florist - Bloom November
- Batten, John (2013-07-11). "Creative forces: Kitty Ko's artwork is motivated by everyday things". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 2019-04-18.
- "Contact Us Archived 2012-09-10 at the Wayback Machine." A.S. Watson Group. Retrieved on 25 October 2012. "Watson House, 1-5 Wo Liu Hang Road, Fo Tan, Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong"
- "聯絡我們 Archived 2012-09-10 at the Wayback Machine." A.S. Watson Group. Retrieved on 25 October 2012. "香港新界火炭禾寮坑路1-5 號屈臣氏中心"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fo Tan.|
- Delineation of area of existing village Fo Tan (Sha Tin) for election of resident representative (2019 to 2022)