Florin Chilian (born 14 December 1968) is a Romanian musician, composer, guitarist vocalist and journalist.
Florin Chilian in concert (2010)
|Born||14 December 1968|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, composer, vocalist|
|Years active||1986 – present|
|Labels||Soft Records, Roton, Luna PR & Events|
Life and careerEdit
As a young boy he practiced cycling for six years. He won several times the title of national champion (years 1981-1985) in cycling junior competitions categories road bicycle racing, track cycling individual and team pursuits.
He has a high school diploma, but no studies in music at all, considering himself a "self-made man" in matters related to music.
The man who guided his very first steps in music was Marcel Condruz, who was his childhood friend.
He starts playing music during high school, as soloist and guitarist in Rubin, a group created by him. Between 1984 and 1987, he gets the first prize in Cântarea României, the most important Romanian artistic competition of those times.
In 1985, as he was part on the audience in a concert performed by Valeriu Sterian and his sound company, he discovers "Shambala", a song performed by Doru Stănculescu. And this song will change his life. He decides to give up cycling and starts playing the guitar.
In 1985, after giving up sports, in order to make a living, he becomes technician working for Valeriu Sterian's band.
His first solo show on a stage was in 1986, at Universitas Club. Mircea Vintilă lends him his own guitar for the concert.
In 2001, at the age of 33, with the price of personal financial sacrifices, he managed to release his first album, Iubi - Interface to Reality. The album was initially refused by all the Romanian record labels. Eventually he manages to put it on the market at Soft Records. Romulus Arhire was the one who helped him put the album on the market at Soft Records. The album gets immediate appreciation from the so-called 'underground' public. In 2002, Florin Chilian has his first concert as a professional artist. But the album is still not broadcast on radio or TV. It contains two hits: "Iubi" and "Chiar dacă".
In 2004 he signed a contract with Roton record label and in September of the same year he released his second album Ten Commandments, Report of the State of the Nation, 1989-2004. The First Step, which contains the hit "Zece". The album is based on the musical interpretation of the 10 Bible Commandments. Florin Chilian becomes the first artist who reinterpreted the Ten Commandments through music. Nobody else ever did that. The struggle continues. Radio and TV stations still refuse to play "Zece". "Only voice and piano it's something that we enjoyed in the 16/th century", they said. Things finally changed when Giovanni Francesco, MTV Romania general manager decides to put on air at radio "Zece".... His song "Zece" was widely broadcast on radio and TV, and on YouTube it was the first Romanian song to reach the first million views and later over 10 million views. The artist was awarded with Gold record and Platinum record for sales by Roton record label.
In June 2010 he released his third album, The Autist, Do not Go Down on Brâncuşi!, an album that soon reached record sales. The artist was awarded with Gold record and Platinum record for sales by Roton record label.
In 2017, he released the album Pre@Clasic at the Luna PR & Events record label. Pre@Clasic is a reinterpretation of classical music, the album is conceived and written entirely for string quartet - chamber music and voice. Through this album, he invented a new musical genre combining pop with pre-classic music.
For all his musical works he is composer, lyricist and performer.
Florin Chilian is known to be one of the Romanian artists who is actively and consistently involved in numerous charity acts, much of the money he earned in concerts being donated to those in need.
During his career, Florin Chilian received the following awards:
- First place at the Music Festival Om Bun
- Album Iubi - Interface to Reality awarded with Gold record, Platinum record by Roton
- Album The Autist, Do not Go Down on Brâncuşi! awarded with Gold record, Platinum record by Roton
- Album Ten Commandments, Report of the State of the Nation, 1989-2004. The First Step awarded with Gold record, Platinum record by Roton
- Awarded at "Romanian Music Awards Best Male" 2008 Florin Chilian with the song "Chiar dacă" from the album Iubi - Interface to Reality by Music Channel Romania
- Awarded "2017 year's album" for "Pre@Clasic" by Radio România Actualităţi
Main musical creationsEdit
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (June 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Zece (English translation Ten)
- Chiar dacă
- Imnul de stat
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (June 2019)
- A young boy and a guitar 
- Florin Chilian and his childhood ‹See Tfd›(in Romanian) 
- Florin Chilian – Iubi, Interfață La Realitate on Discogs
- După un an de la lansarea pe piaţă cu Soft Records‹See Tfd›(in Romanian) 
- Zece is the first Romanian video that reached one million and ten million views on YouTube.‹See Tfd›(in Romanian) 
- Florin Chilian will be awarded with Platinum record for the song Zece ‹See Tfd›(in Romanian) 
- Florin Chilian awarded with Gold record for Iubi ‹See Tfd›(in Romanian) 
- Florin Chilian will be awarded with Gold record and Platinum record for the album Autistul ‹See Tfd›(in Romanian) 
- A new musical style: pop hits, ballads, tango on pre-Classical music. Chamber music in the concert Pre@Clasic ‹See Tfd›(in Romanian) 
- The Association Autism România has 10 years of existence. Florin Chilian and Berti Barbera ‹See Tfd›(in Romanian) 
- Concert for charity Florin Chilian and Mihai Mărgineanu ‹See Tfd›(in Romanian)
- 218 minors are spending time in Tichilești Prison‹See Tfd›(in Romanian)
- Best Male 2008 Florin Chilian with the song "Chiar dacă" ‹See Tfd›(in Romanian) 
- Album of the year 2017 for Pre@Clasic ‹See Tfd›(in Romanian) 
- Cu un pas înainte (2007) ProTV.