Floriade is an international exhibition and garden festival, held every 10 years in the Netherlands. All have been World Horticultural Expositions and listed as an A1 category exhibition by the International Association of Horticultural Producers and hence recognised by the Bureau International des Expositions. The next Floriade will be held in 2022 in Almere.
Prior to the Floriade in the Netherlands, flower and garden shows were called Flora Exhibitions held at Groenendaal park in Heemstede in 1925, 1935 and 1953, and earlier in 1910 in the Haarlemmerhout in Haarlem. The first Floriade was held in Rotterdam in Het Park with the Euromast being erected to mark the event
The Floriade is coordinated by the Dutch Horticultural Council. The Dutch Horticultural Council was founded in 1908 and aims to strengthen the image of the Dutch horticulture and to promote exports.The location varies and is awarded to a city after a bidding phase.
|Floriade 1960||Rotterdam||Het Park||March 25 - September 1960||1|
|Floriade 1972||Amsterdam||Amstelpark and Beatrixpark||March 30 - October 1 1972||5|
|Floriade 1982||Amsterdam||Gaasperpark||April 8 - October 10 1982||9|
|Floriade 1992||Zoetermeer||Rokkeveen||April 9 - October 10 1992||13|
|Floriade 2002||Haarlemmermeer||Haarlemmermeerse Woods||April 6 - October 20 2002||16||Feel the art of nature|
|Floriade 2012||Venlo||Venlo Greenpark||April 6 - October 7 2012||19|
|Floriade 2022||Almere||Weerwater||23||Growing Green Cities|
The 1992 Floriade was held in Zoetermeer and ran from 9 April to 10 October. The event was held on converted pasture outside the newtown of Zoetermeer, covered 168 acres and had participants from more than 20 countries.
The 2002 Floriade was held in Haarlemmermeer with a theme of Contribution of Horticulture in the quality of life in the 21st century. It ran from 5 April to 20 October, covered 65 ha and had 30 participating countries
2012 Venlo FloriadeEdit
- Theokas, Andrew (2005). Grounds for Review: The Garden Festival in Urban Planning and Design. Liverpool University Press. ISBN 978-0-85323-539-2.
- "AIPH". AIPH. Retrieved 2013-09-24.
- "Floriade Almere 2022" (in Dutch). Retrieved 28 November 2013.
- "History - Euromast". Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- Raver, Anne (3 May 1992). "At Floriade, Tulips Are Just a Start". The New York Times. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- "2002 Haarlemmermeer - Netherlands". Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- "MVRDV's Almere Plan Wins Floriade 2022 Competition". Bustler. 25 September 2012.