Flag of Bulgaria
The flag of Bulgaria (Bulgarian: знаме на България, [znamɛ nɐ bɐɫˈɡarijɐ], zname na Bǎlgariya) is a tricolour consisting of three equal-sized horizontal bands of (from top to bottom) white, green, and red. The flag was first adopted after the 1877–1878 Russo-Turkish War, when Bulgaria gained independence. The national flag at times was charged with the state emblem, especially during the communist era. The current flag was re-established with the 1991 Constitution of Bulgaria and was confirmed in a 1998 law.
|Use||Civil and state flag, civil ensign|
|Adopted||1879 (first adoption)|
27 November 1990 (readoption)
|Design||A horizontal tricolour of white, green and red.|
After the liberation of Bulgaria following the Russo-Turkish War in 1878, the flag was described in the Tarnovo Constitution of 1879 as follows:
|“||Art. 23. The Bulgarian people's flag is three-coloured and consists of white, green and red colours, placed horizontally.||”|
From 1946 until 1990 the emblem of the People's Republic of Bulgaria was placed on the left side of the white stripe. It contained a lion within a wreath of wheat ears below a red star and above a ribbon bearing the date 9 September 1944, the day of Bulgarian coup d'état of 1944 which led to the establishment of the People's Republic of Bulgaria. In 1971, it was changed so the ribbon bearing the years 681, the year of the establishment of the First Bulgarian Empire by Asparukh and 1944.
Following the fall of communism in 1990, the then-enforced Zhivkov Constitution was amended so the flag can be reverted to the pre-communism era. The new Constitution of Bulgaria, adopted in 1991, describes the Bulgarian flag as follows:
|“||Art. 166. The flag of the Republic of Bulgaria shall be a tricolour: white, green and red from top, placed horizontally.||”|
A popular version of the flag, which has no official status, is also commonly known. It has the full coat of arms on the left of the flag, placed across the white and green fields only.
According to the Law for the State Seal and National Flag of the Republic of Bulgaria, promulgated on 24 April 1998:
|“||Art. 15. (1) The national flag of the Republic of Bulgaria is a national symbol which expresses the independence and sovereignty of the Bulgarian state.
(2) The national flag of the Republic of Bulgaria is tricolour: white, green and red fields, placed horizontally from the top downwards. On fixing the national flag in a vertical situation of the carrying body the colours shall be arranged from left to right - white, green, red.
(3) The national flag is of a rectangular shape. The fields of the individual colours shall be equal in size and shall be situated along the horizontal of the rectangular.
According to the Standardisation and Metrology Committee, the following are the required colours for use in the national flag:
|Pantone textile scale||Whiteness greater than 80%||17-5936 ТСX||18-1664 ТСX|
|Pantone||Safe||RAL 6024||RAL 3028|
Current Bulgarian war flag, similar to Bulgarian war flags from period 1880s–mid 1940s. The motto in Bulgarian means "God is with us".
- Whitney Smith. "Flag of Bulgaria". Encyclopædia Britannica. Retrieved 2017-12-08.
- "Tarnovo Constitution of 1879" (in Bulgarian). Juridical Encyclopedia. Archived from the original on 2007-09-11. Retrieved 2007-09-15.
- "Understanding the Bulgarian Flag". Information Bulgaria. Retrieved 2017-12-08.
- "Constitution of the Republic of Bulgaria". National Assembly of the Republic of Bulgaria. Retrieved 2007-09-15.
- Unofficial flag Archived 2014-04-08 at the Wayback Machine, taken from 2013 Bulgaria Summer Protests, Darik News, 26 June 2013, and unofficial flag, taken from Protests in Bulgaria: the unnoticed uprising, TheConversation.com, 24 Jun 2013. Both retrieved 27 Jun 2013.
- "Law for the State Seal and National Flag of the Republic of Bulgaria". National Assembly of the Republic. Retrieved 2007-09-15.
- bg:Национално знаме на България
- Government of Bulgaria (2005). "Bulgaria's National Flag". Archived from the original on 2009-02-08. Retrieved 2007-11-09.
- PANTONE. "PANTONE 17-5936 TCX Simply Green - Find a Pantone Color - Quick Online Color Tool". Pantone.com. Retrieved 12 December 2017.
- PANTONE. "PANTONE 18-1664 TCX Fiery Red - Find a Pantone Color - Quick Online Color Tool". Pantone.com. Retrieved 12 December 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Flags of Bulgaria.|
- Bulgarian Heraldry and Vexillology Society (in Bulgarian) (in English)
- Bulgaria at Flags of the World
- Law for the State Seal and the National Flag of the Republic of Bulgaria
- About Bulgarian national symbols
- Voynikov, Ivan. "Part II. The Bulgarian flag through the centuries". History of the Bulgarian State Symbols (in Bulgarian).