Fields, Factories, and Workshops
Fields, Factories, and Workshops is an 1899 book by anarchist Peter Kropotkin that discusses the decentralization of industries, possibilities of agriculture, and uses of small industries. Before this book on economics, Kropotkin had been known for his anarchist militarism and Siberian geography. Through the book, he sought to connect anarchism with science, based on sociological tendencies. The book was compiled from essays he had published in Nineteenth Century and Forum between 1888 and 1890. The book was first published in 1899 by Houghton-Mifflin (Boston) and Hutchinson (London) to favorable reviews among Britons. It has since been republished in multiple editions: Swan Sonnenschein (London) and Putnam (New York) in 1901, 1904, 1907, 1909, and Nelson (London) and Putnam (New York) in 1913 and 1919. Reproductions of the first and second editions appeared in 1968. A later edition, edited by Colin Ward for Harper & Row, released in 1974 with more contemporary illustrations as Fields, Factories and Workshops Tomorrow.
|Publisher||Houghton, Mifflin & Co.|
- Oved, Yaacov (1992) . "Introduction to the Transaction Edition". Fields, Factories, and Workshops. Transaction Publishers. ISBN 978-1-4128-2358-6.
- Seligman, Edwin R. A. (1899). "Review of Fields, Factories and Workshops". Political Science Quarterly. 14 (2): 335–337. doi:10.2307/2139789. ISSN 0032-3195. JSTOR 2139789.
- Harbold, William H. (1978). "Review of Fields, Factories and Workshops Tomorrow". The American Political Science Review. 72 (2): 646–649. doi:10.2307/1954128. ISSN 0003-0554. JSTOR 1954128.
- Kebbel, T. E. (1902). "Review of Fields, Factories, and Workshops". The Economic Journal. 12 (46): 232–236. doi:10.2307/2957282. hdl:2027/uiug.30112064208082. ISSN 0013-0133. JSTOR 2957282.
- Kropotkin, Prince (1902). "Review of Fields, Factories, and Workshops". All Ireland Review. 2 (49): 439. doi:10.2307/20545838. ISSN 2009-2415. JSTOR 20545838.
- Sanger, C. P. (1902). "Review of Fields, Factories and Workshops". International Journal of Ethics. 12 (3): 412–413. doi:10.1086/intejethi.12.3.2376356. ISSN 1526-422X. JSTOR 2376356.
- Fields, Factories, and Workshops at the HathiTrust Digital Library
- Fields, Factories and Workshops, or Industry Combined with Agriculture and Brain Work with Manual Work