Feniscowles is a village in the unitary authority of Blackburn with Darwen, Lancashire, England. It is situated approximately 3 miles (4.8 km) west of Blackburn. Part of the village is in the civil parish
The village is mentioned in documents as early as 1276 when its name was recorded as 'Feinycholes'.
The village is primarily a suburb of Blackburn, situated on Preston Old Road near the boundary with the borough of Chorley (borough). Many houses in the village have been built since the 1960s, including the Park Farm and Feniscowles Bridge areas.
The village is located on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. Bridge 92, to the south of the village, also known as Millfield Bridge, is a Grade II listed building and is described by English Heritage as: "Accommodation bridge over Leeds-Liverpool Canal. 1811-16, Supervising Engineer probably Joseph Priestley. Squared sandstone. Elliptical portal with rusticated voussoirs and keystone, band, parapet with ridge coping, pilastered ends to curved keepers".
The village also lies on the Blackburn to Chorley railway line, which was built in 1866-69. The village's railway station closed in 1960, with the line closing completely in 1968. Industry in the village includes a Sappi Blackburn Mill, originally built in 1875 as the Star Paper Mill. Another paper mill, also built in the 1870s and known as the Sun Paper Mill, which closed in 1992 and has now been demolished.
In the village there is a school called Feniscowles Primary.
- CommuniGate | History of Feniscowles Archived 4 February 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- The Reelers Trail : Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council Archived 1 December 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- Papermaking Members Archived 15 November 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- Sappi Limited - About Sappi | Sappi Fine Paper Europe
- Paper-maker's Sun site rebid[permanent dead link]
- Blackburn Encyclopaedia F Archived 10 July 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- "Land of "Livesey of Livesey"". Livesay Historical Society. Archived from the original on 2 May 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-08.
- "Feniscowles, Blackburn". Cottontown.org. Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council. Archived from the original on 4 May 2005. Retrieved 2008-03-07.