The School was founded by a small group of Northwestern University alumni in March 1992. Its mission is to preserve and promote the classical liberal arts. The Feltre School educates adults in English grammar, composition, public speaking, philosophy, and the humanities.
The name and philosophy for the school was inspired by the work of the fifteenth-century Italian educator Vittorino da Feltre. The Feltre School teaches the high educational ideals of the classical Trivium.
The Feltre School resides in one of the few remaining turn-of-the-century brick buildings in Chicago’s River North neighborhood. The building was originally built in 1905 as the Chicago Deaconesses' Home and had become commercial property by the time The Feltre School purchased it in 1998. The School was earlier located in downtown Evanston, Illinois. The Director of The Feltre School is Robert Ultimo. The school houses the Library Theatre, a venue for small scale theatre and literary events.
- "The Alternative Schools Network of Chicago 2005 Program Directory" (PDF). Alternative Schools Network of Chicago. p. 19. Archived from the original (PDF) on July 25, 2011. Retrieved August 11, 2010.
- "Etica Inc - Chicago, Illinois (IL): Company Profile". manta.com. Retrieved August 11, 2010.
- Colista, Celia (October 8, 2003). "Beyond the basics: Feltre School stresses communication". Chicago Sun-Times, archived at LexisNexis. Retrieved August 8, 2010. (Subscription required (help)).
- Bertagnoli, Lisa (April 11, 2005). "Execs learn to talk smart: Moving up the ladder but not soundin' like it; back to basic grammar". Crain's Chicago Business. Crain Communications. Retrieved August 8, 2010.
- Smoron, Paige (November 13, 2001). "The quest for knowledge". Chicago Sun-Times, archived at LexisNexis. Retrieved August 10, 2010. (Subscription required (help)).
- Abarbanel, Jonathan (5 December 2006). "Behind The Curtain: News from the North". PerformInk Online. Archived from the original on 16 July 2011. Retrieved August 10, 2010.
- "History". Organic Theater. Retrieved August 11, 2010.
- "The Library Theatre at Feltre". Theatre In Chicago. Retrieved August 11, 2010.